Featured Do you recognize the maker and what would you call this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Jun 9, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

E8D71A04-DBE8-4AB4-A937-026FBADBBB20_1_201_a.jpeg 08F21524-3FC0-4739-92A9-E3A463AA7A7F_1_201_a.jpeg F48143FD-3DDD-47A8-850D-85AA7DA502D4_1_201_a.jpeg

I think it is crystal and is approx 14". I was searching it as a crystal pedestal lidded candy dish but I cannot find anything with the tall topper. I did see an auction for another item (way different pattern) without the foot with a similar tower on the top and they called it a cathedral. I think this is newer. Does anyone recognize the maker or anything else about it?

Thank you for any help!

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Looks like pressed glass......early American pressed glass or EAPG. A lot of the glass companies made this pattern. Reminds me a bit of Hocking or Mckee....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    pearlsnblume and gauntlettgems like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Actually, the more I look at this, the more I think it could be newer and European.....don't know if the terminology would be covered compote, sweetmeat dish, candy dish......

gauntlettgems and patd8643 like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Drageoir or covered candy bowl?:rolleyes:

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Most likely W. Germ candy.
    Looks like the pattern that was imported in the 1970s/80s.
    Lead crystal.

Should it be newer than the 70s/80s, then Yugoslavia, Slovenia, Romania would be other areas of import.

I'm sticking with W. Germ.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  6. gauntlettgems

Is there a term for the tall finial thing? Is the rainbow effect I see a way to determine if it is actually crystal or not? I feel a seam on this also, if that helps in the decision.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is an indication of lead crystal.
    So definitely not American.

The only place you really see the rainbow effect on American glass is the brilliant period cut glass.

8. gauntlettgems

I thought this topper might be more of a clue It is just so pretty

9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The tall thin finials are a product of the late 20th century eastern Europe and Turkey.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

One of our Croatian exchange students gave me a glass vase with an almost identical design. It's packed away or I'd take a photo. He was with us in 1986-87. I have no idea how old it was because his parents wrapped it up as a host family gift and it could have been in their family for years or be brand new. I'm also not sure if it was Croatian in origin, but almost certain it came from that part of the world

gauntlettgems likes this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I would call that a candy dish BWDIK. Sour ball candies would go inside at grandma's house.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  12. gauntlettgems

I just do t think I’ve ever seen such a tall one. Thank you!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted