Featured Do you recognize this French ? mark on this Punch head (I think) porcelain creamer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Jul 31, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

Bought this adorable, I think Punch, from Punch and Judy, but possibly just a jester head porcelain creamer at an estate sale. Love it but do not know porcelain marks. I do not even know why I think French, just a hunch. It is small and measures 2 3/4 inches tall. I am not even sure this is right side up. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @alynnfin, It's ALWAYS BEST to post your images FULL SIZE....when posting just click on the VERY TOP OF THE LIST OF THEM THAT SAYS "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS A FULL IMAGE".....I'm doing it for you this time.....:happy::happy:

5CE7158F-2A16-42CA-AB1A-60150409126D_1_201_a.jpeg

6B3FC9BB-1CE9-4E9A-88E7-01F0F6ECBE4A_1_201_a.jpeg

BB0CB0E0-5FF7-4AE8-96DF-F5904BFA90DE_1_201_a.jpeg

3. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

Damn, got a chip in the nose. I'll be hanging round to hear this too. Also, are these head mugs worth anything ? I know someone with half a dozen for cheap rn.

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  4. alynnfin

Thanks, I actually thought I did do the full size. Appreciate the assistance.

LauraGarnet02 and Aquitaine like this.
  5. alynnfin

It has more than one chip, but I still love it and am always curious. One of the things I can still enjoy learning and be old!

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like porcelain, rather earthenware of some sort. I'm not good at ceramic marks, but it's possible it could be the painter's signature rather than the form maker. I suspect you already found this one on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142808558774

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LIKE the mouth on THIS one MUCH better than the one on ebay!!!!!:):)

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The handles and measurements are different, but, still.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s porcelain? It looks like French majolica to me, but I would not rule out Italian.

LauraGarnet02 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I think the author got that misinformation from the eBay listing. I'd appreciate it if posters would mention where they have already looked, so it doesn't waste our time going down avenues already traveled. This is the 2nd one this week. I guess that's why they call it RE-search. :rolleyes:

12. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

cxgirl and Darkwing Manor like this.
  13. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I’ve little experience in the monetary value. But what I can tell you is they are commonly known as Toby jugs. Some are old England and some Japan and French. Possibly other countries too. Sometimes the figure is well known ie. Winston Churchill and I would think a lot are fictional. I’m sure your friend can look up theirs and find values in today’s market.

14. alynnfin

I did see it which is where I got Punch, as I was thinking strictly jester. And maybe that is where I saw France and it stuck and I thought I came up with it. Actually do not remember. Since mine had a mark or possibly painter's signature, I was hoping someone recognized it. Thank you. And yes, mine is not gruesome looking. Yikes!

cxgirl likes this.
  15. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I think there is a resemblance to Benedict Arnold, with wife Peggy Shippen depicted here with John Andre (who was hung for conspiring to turn over George Washington). As a famous traitor Arnold, your Toby jug, if French just 36C5BD8B-BCAF-400A-A671-AF57C0DE2727.jpeg 54E08E23-7198-4A15-AB4A-591601984CBC.jpeg 9377A939-7A0F-4F1C-9E42-0771F3302FD9.jpeg might be that he was depicted as a jester! This is a jug I have made by Rorstrand that just came to mind as familiar.

16. alynnfin

Yes I believe that is it with the variation of the x with marks. I have trouble telling the difference between porcelain, earthenware and faience. Not that good.
    Thank you so much.

17. alynnfin

Still very unknowledgeable about the telling the difference. I automatically thing porcelain unless I think pottery. Should have known it wasn't. So would if it is faience and French majolica, how do you word that? French Faience Majolica? Thank you.

18. alynnfin

I do see the resemblance!

19. alynnfin

Sorry, I saw it but it wasn't marked and I don't trust all of Ebay's sellers to always know what they state. Plus, that one did not have a mark and I didn't know where they got the French. I'll remember to say I saw one like it on Ebay.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  20. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I think “French” is redundant. One would just say Faience Majolica. Unless you are selling and then being redundant in the title is helpful (people use different search terms : -)

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted