Do you think this is an old Buddhist statue?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by AnMarie, Nov 28, 2022.

1. AnMarie

AnMarie Active Member

Hi,
    I'm hoping that I've come across quite an old Buddhist statue. The height is 75cm and it weights 7.8kg. Given the greenish hue, and the weight, could it be made from copper/brass/bronze?

I would really appreciate some feed back because it isn't cheap, and I'd hate to waste my money.

Thanks in advance, as always. :) Screenshot_20221128_210619_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221128_210552_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221128_210604_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221128_210512_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221128_210519_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221128_210527_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221128_210541_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221128_210507_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

More Quan Yin I would guess. @Any Jewelry is our guru on this.

You are correct that the greenish oxidation in indicates the presence of copper. However, as brass & bronze are alloys that contain copper, you will see it on these metals as well.

Any Jewelry and AnMarie like this.
  3. AnMarie

AnMarie Active Member

Yes I agree, @Any Jewelry is the perfect person to address this, her knowledge is second to none! :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's second to hers. AJ is very much a lady. ;)

5. AnMarie

AnMarie Active Member

Oops... edited :)

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

She depicts Tara, an important Buddhist deity (and the Himalayan version of Guanyin). She is made of a copper alloy (bronze, brass, or perhaps a more complex variation), and probably was made in the area of Northern India/Nepal/Tibet.

I don't believe it is easy to date such figures, as the iconography is conservative, they have been made in the same way for centuries, and continue to be made today. The corrosion is not necessarily a sign of age, just evidence of a poor environment in her history.

Any Jewelry will be able to say more about her religious significance.

Any Jewelry, AnMarie, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am a little concerned about the lighter color splotches on buttocks and legs. The very top is free of oxidation and the white while the bottom is very corroded. I guess it could have sat in water. Just something seems off to me.

8. AnMarie

AnMarie Active Member

Many thanks, for your kind reply. :)

2manybooks likes this.
  9. AnMarie

AnMarie Active Member

10. AnMarie

AnMarie Active Member

I too wondered why the lower section was more corroded than the top... the water theory seems quite plausible.

Thanks for your reply. :)

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As @2manybooks said, she is Tara. In this case she represents the White Tara, with an open lotus flower. There are also Green Taras, they have a lotus bud.

This statue isn't very old, but as @Lark remarked, it has issues. Charming though she is, I would pass.

12. AnMarie

AnMarie Active Member

Many thanks, I will heed your advice and steer clear.

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I just found another Tara, strikingly similar to the one you were considering, listed on Wayfair:
    https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillo...-tibetan-buddhist-deity-w005378277.html?piid=

Recently, I have seen other companies seemingly manufacturing traditional looking Buddhist bronzes. It used to be that such figures, made by the lost-wax casting process, were unique objects - a separate wax model was made by hand for each figure cast, with at least modest variation. With modern methods, identical wax models can be made in a mold and used to make multiple bronze castings that look identical. Some engraved details and patination may be added after casting to create some varieties. That may be what is going on in this instance.

AnMarie, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is one of those mass produced Nepali bronzes, mostly made for tourists and export.
    Some are made in India, I think the one you posted is. I've seen it, or one very similar, on Indiamart.

AnMarie, 2manybooks and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted