Featured Do you write your name in books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, May 9, 2020.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

I know, most book collectors will never do that, but I am wondering why.

A few years ago I met a very wise woman at a some meeting. We talked about hobby's and i said I was an antique book collector. ""Why do you like old books?", she asked. I answered that old books tell a story about the former makers and users of the books, that it is inspiring to know many people during the past ages have read, touched and even treasured it. "I really like it when I see old owner marks in the books, that adds to the history". ""So why don't you add your mark in the books?", she replied, "As a collector you are part of the history of the book now as well."

For some reason I don't want to change my books and therefore not write my name in the books, it doesn't feel right, but the woman had a very good point. Do you agree?

Some example in my collection

DSCF5321.JPG PICT2030.JPG SAM_1013.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Joe2007, Bronwen, Lolahola and 7 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I never do it, but I cherish the names of my ancestors in the books I inherited.
    I also remember, during my time as a theology student a fellow student had a beautiful ex libris stamp designed for her, which she used in all her books. Something like that certainly looks like part of the history of a book.

Joe2007, Bronwen, stracci and 6 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I share my books, but I want specific ones back. Right now I wish I had got my "The Hermitage Day by Day" book back before the lockdown. It has 366 works of art in a book that can be opened flat to display each page. I forgot to put my name on it, but this borrower, while desultory in returning lent books, can be counted on to remember who the owner is.

Bronwen, i need help, JayBee and 5 others like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

as if it was important when one knows who had owned a Penguin Classic.

those examples shown are from eras when
    a) 99,9999 % of the population were illiterate
    b) books were rare and stolen/robbed/dispossessed due value
    c) the owners were of some importance and means to buy them

average people that do this today try to give themselves an importance they neither have nor deserve.

Bronwen, judy, moreotherstuff and 3 others like this.
  5. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

It's a personal choice. A nice ex-libris, or several, for different sections of one's personal library, is a good way of leaving a mark on the book and adding to its history without writing on it. Some people like books with underlinings and margin notes --- especially if added by someone who add something of worth to say; it can add to the book, as if you are having a conversation with the author and/or a former owner of the book. Some collectors / bibliophiles / book lovers would rather have books in pristine condition, or if signed and dedicated, that that might be only by the author.
    In China, the value of a painting may increase considerably if and when inscribed by their owners, especially if they are known as reputable appraisers, artists, etc., who also will apply their chop to the painting --- a practice that would be frowned upon in the West: imagine a collector adding a chop and signature, comment or poem to a painting or print; it would be considered nothing short of vandalism! LOL :bored: !

Joe2007, Bronwen, Bakersgma and 7 others like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I only put my name in a book if I was giving it as a gift to a family member, especially young ones.
    But when I find old cookbooks and see the names of who gave it, or who received it, it seems like a lovely touch. But I know most folks don't think so.

lovewrens, Bronwen, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I rarely write my name in books. I might if I were going to lend one to somebody. When I was in my teens and 20s I often wrote my name in books. Looking back, I think this might have something to do with still becoming established in the world and sort of tagging my possessions. Then I became a librarian, and writing in books seemed to be a bad idea among that group. So I got way out of the habit.

That being said, I do find it interesting.

Joe2007, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Well, that's me, then.
    Several months ago, I bought a customized ex libris stamp very reasonably from Etsy. I like to stamp new hardcover books that I like well enough to keep (vs. donate) and give up valuable space to in my bookshelves. I do admit that I don't generally bother stamping paperbacks... if I like a paperback well enough, I will often buy a hardcover edition to stamp and keep, and donate the paperback.
    While the OP's photos appear to depict ancient texts with ancient ex libris notations, I also enjoy seeing previous owner's names in more recent (vintage vs. antique) books, whether written or (oh, joy!) on a bookplate.
    But then I enjoy ephemera, as well as books.

That all said, I never considered adding my name to a vintage/antique book. Now there's an idea...

Me, too!!
    In fact, I think that about all books, not just old cookbooks. (And I have quite a collection of those!)

lovewrens, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I used to have bookplates long ago, I was doing hot-stamping on paper-goods as a sideline, so mine were gold-imprinted with my name - now if I lend a book, I just stick a friendly post-it reminder of the actual owner (usually works). I often get used books since many in my fields of interest are OOP (and they're usually cheaper), ex-library is even okay with me, kinda like if they still have pockets and cards, have one from the small library of a town I lived in at age 8 that makes me smile every time I open it; and one of my Rainwater books has a letter from the author to the original owner, also an author, who signed her name in the book (I bought the book from her), a better than usual history of ownership...

~Cheryl

Bronwen, Bakersgma, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  10. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The curator's rule of thumb when addressing the marking of any object is make sure it is reversible. I use light pencil.

Joe2007, Bronwen, Fid and 3 others like this.
  11. Ex Libris

Interesting point! I see myself as an average person and that is ok for me. My book collection is growing in historical importance over the years that I collect though. I think a collection is more important then the sum of individual books. That is why I decided to donate my collection to a library in Antwerp to prevent it to be sold separately when I'm gone.

My books are in this world for hundreds of years now and most likely they will be there hundreds of years after I pass away. In the life of an old book I am just a passer-by. By marking my books i will preserve the collection somehow and that will add to the historical value.

12. Ex Libris

I was thinking of an embossing stamp like this:

a24e2a516789805b115bc4f5f2d82f3b.jpg

13. Any Jewelry

It is lovely, but what will that do to antique paper? I know it is much better quality than new paper, but still....

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

wishful thinking. if it's not a renowned collection of outstanding quality then it'll be a fight to even find a library that'll accept it.
    and how will you control it when you met your Creator or Jopi Heesters ?

Bronwen and Ex Libris like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I agree on the difficulty to get a collection accpted as such by a wellknown library. On the other hand, Ex Libris' collection is pretty specialized, which could be a bonus.
    Uhm, there is a reason why Johannes Heesters wasn't accepted back in the Netherlands after WWII. No Dutchman would like to meet him after death either.
    Jopi was his German nickname btw. Handsome devil though.:D

Darkwing Manor, Bronwen and Ex Libris like this.
  16. Ex Libris

I had a meeting with the library of my choice last year and they gladly will accept my collection, so I had my testament changed with this gift.

17. Any Jewelry

That's great. See, that's where a good specialization helps.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had a stamp made for myself in the late 70's, at a time when I though I would collect books, .....or any other things I could crush my name on......still have...hardly ever used it...

Bronwen and Darkwing Manor like this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good for you then.

Bronwen and Darkwing Manor like this.
  20. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

So, it turns out we don't need to put our names in books at all. There is a medieval curse method to protect them from theft or damage. I wish I had known this sooner. :bored: From Atlas Obscura: shorturl.at/duJRV
    Excerpt:" “For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand & rend him. Let him be struck with palsy & all his members blasted. Let him languish in pain crying aloud for mercy, & let there be no surcease to his agony till he sing in dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not, & when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him for ever.”"

Draft saved Draft deleted