Featured Doctor Zhivago, first uk edition, but what print number, printed in Israel ?

Discussion in 'Books' started by charlie cheswick, Jun 29, 2019.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi guys can someone make sense to me what print this would be

the uk first edition is exactly the same 1958

but without the added reprinted in Israel, and Jerusalem details

the uk first edition second impression, is stated as ive seen

so what does that make this ? cant find another one for reference

any help appreciated

doc11.jpg doc6.jpg doc9.jpg doc7.jpg doc8.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wasn't Boris Pasternak having trouble getting this published because of USSR censorship? If I remember correctly the manuscript was smuggled out of the country, so reprinting a British first print in Israel could have been the only way to publish it in Israel.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. charlie cheswick

Yeah, I think that would make sense AJ. I thought the printing details made the book seem quite interesting, as it seem to have a bit of an interesting past

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

Very interesting read deb, thanks

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the interesting point is Feltrinelli Milano and not the English translation.
    Giangiacomo Feltrinelli was a communist himself at the time and had good connections to all critical people because Italy was terrorized once again by old Fascist networks and the NATO and CIA under US leadership. he was known to support literature that would not be published easily elsewhere and always asked minimal prices for re-publishings by other companies (even for young German poets).

8. charlie cheswick

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

2MB's partner here, the bookseller. We would call that the first Israeli edition, making some comment about Steimatzky's publishing program in our listing. You are correct, it would not be as valuable as the Steimatzky Lolita, because Lolita is a more desirable title in general. However, because of the complicated publishing history of both titles, and as with any notable book, there is usually some interest in any early edition, especially in a nice jacket. There are serious collectors who seek every edition by specific authors, though that is uncommon.

For price research, I would try to find other Steimatzky-published titles and compare their prices with the 'regular' first editions of those titles, though that might be a bit of a challenge.

10. charlie cheswick

That's a brilliant help, thank you for your time

Comparing a Steimatzky 1st with a true Lolita 1st was far far less

I think they were published in small runs, and as I can't find another it might have a little interest
    Thanks

Charlie

pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted