Does anybody know about dominoes?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Mar 16, 2020.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I’d love to get some (any!) information about a set of dominoes that I have. As you will see in the pics, they are in a well-oxidized wood box with dovetailed joints. The box is simply marked in black paint with one stencilled word, “Dominos”. There are 28 dominoes in total, of standard size. They are made of wood, with one side painted white with black paint filling scooped-out divots for the numbers. The other side has been left bare wood. Interestingly, the slices of wood the dominoes are made from are not of a uniform thickness; some dominoes are thicker than others.

Now, I’ve been researching antique domino sets but almost all are made of bone or ivory. Can anyone tell me when these wood ones might date to? Also, is the spelling of “dominos” vs. the more common “dominoes” significant? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

They look home made or school project.
    When I played they were called bones because they were made of bone or ivory.

You have one Domino or a set of Dominoes.

Dominos is a Pizza company.

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Dominoes or Dominos are both acceptable and plural in form.
    -Any of several games played with a set of usually 28 dominoes.

There is also a card game called Domino.

Domino's actually has an apostrophe.:p

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. David Askett

Thanks, @daveydempsey. Of course, you could very well be right but, with the fitted box and stencilled name, my gut feeling has been that they’re commercially made, and quite old, possibly 1880’s or 1890’s, or even a bit earlier. Again, though, this isn’t based on anything concrete, so it’s nice to have another opinion.

Firemandk and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and then there was Derek and the Dominos...

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And Fats Domino!

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Domino......& Bond...

upload_2020-3-16_18-32-3.jpeg

Firemandk, Aquitaine, Rayo56 and 2 others like this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Dominos is used in French:cigar::)

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

During my driving test for 18-wheelers, I came around a corner and a truck from a toy factory had spilled his load all over the road. His load was domino games ...for as far as the eye could see, it was dominoes!
    Driving over them was like being on an ice rink. I passed though, so I must have done something right!

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The box may have held a different set of dominoes. Some got lost and a handyman made a replacement set.
    I do not think they are from the 1890s. I would think 1930-50s.
    Keep in mind people back in the day were proud of their work.

If they were commercially made, I would think that a different wood type would have been chosen and the edges would have been finished nicer.
    upload_2020-3-16_16-36-33.png

Also the holes are misaligned and different sizes. There would have been more uniformity if commercially made.
    upload_2020-3-16_16-41-37.png

judy, daveydempsey, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yes - looks like made from Barn shiplap siding - drilled to make the depressions then painted. Ends show roughcut from a circular saw blade

anundverkaufen, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  12. David Askett

Thank you, clutteredcloset49 and Rayo56.

judy likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

14. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I come across these often...if they are a pound or so I'll buy them for resale but they only get £6 ish here...I have my Stepdads and he was born late 40s.

(ETA...I am Games Challenged and I may be talking about chess pieces...I sold the contents of my stepdads box and just kept the box as it has his handwritten name on it)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. daveydempsey

They really are amateur, even black wooden sets from China sold for children were made better than this.

dom.PNG

As an aside did you know 3 or 4 bone dominoes dropped into a glass were used to simulate the sound of ice in a drink on radio shows just like two half coconut shells clapped together to simulate horses galloping.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:)
    In Dutch the game is domino, the pieces are dominostenen.
    And then there is 'dominee', which is a vicar. 'De dominee speelt domino'= the vicar plays dominos.:wacky:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    kyratango and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

About whether it is dominoes, dominos, or domino's:

dominoes or dominos plural in form but usually singular in construction : any of several games played with a set of usually 28 dominoes
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/domino

Other dictionaries and spelling sites agree.:)

kyratango and judy like this.
  18. daveydempsey

I disagree.
    Collins English, Oxford English and Cambridge English all state it is Dominoes.
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dominoes
    Merriam Webster and the other American spelling sites use American English, a basterdized form of British English.:cool:

anundverkaufen likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Not really, American English is just one of the many forms of English that already existed before there was an agreed form of British English.
    This is 2020, there is no reason why former colonies should conform to a country that is alien to them.:playful:

20. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I have never seen a cruder set, but it makes me long for a game. I think I will dig ours out, now I am on lockdown, for a few games.

David Askett, kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted