Featured Does anybody know if this little statue is authentic or a fake?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mafa75, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Mafa75

Mafa75 New Member

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 8.40.35 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 8.40.35 PM(1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 8.40.36 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 8.40.36 PM(1).jpeg Hello,

I have just bought this statue in a local thrift in Canada.
    Wondering if it is authentic or a fake for tourists.

KSW, Any Jewelry and TraceyB like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Mafa75 & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

I know nothing about your item but we are an international group so people come & go at all hours.

Meanwhile, you could give a little more information about your piece.

What is it made of? What are the measurements? Is it all one piece or is the figure attached to the stand in some way? Has it been painted?

Other folks who might be able to help also might like a photo of the bottom of the piece especially if it is 2 pieces because what is used to attach the 2 pieces can give clues as to when it was made.

KSW and TraceyB like this.
  3. Mafa75

Mafa75 New Member

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 8.57.23 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 8.56.53 PM.jpeg Hello @bercrystal,

Thank you for answering. Here some more details.
    The statue was originally one piece, but when I tried to clean it with some water the filler that was keeping the two parts together melted down and the they detached. The statue only is 27 cm tall x 10 cm wide, while the basement is 12 cm wide, 10 cm long and 6cm tall. There is some incrustations on the statue and the basement that look authentic ( I can see the part that got uncovered after the two pieces detached and I can fell the difference with my finger). The two pieces seems to be made of terracotta and also a little bit crumbling.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    KSW, pearlsnblume and TraceyB like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I would suspect a copy of something. The bottom appears to be filled (with sand? rice? cannot tell for sure) and do I see some two or three initials on the left? --or perhaps that is just the rough texture of a clay type of plug?

The fact that it fell apart when water touched it, it could never have withstood much of a test of time in a humid climate. What did the dealer tell you about the age and origins?

KSW, Bakersgma, laura9797 and 3 others like this.
  5. Mafa75

Mafa75 New Member

Hello @antidiem,

The filler seems to be granular like sand or a kind of stucco, definitely not rice. I dont see any initials (maybe it is just something due to the way I took the picture - added two more that can help hopefully), and the dealer was a salvation thrift, so they did not say anything about this item.

Attached Files:

KSW and TraceyB like this.
  6. Mafa75

Mafa75 New Member

> The fact that it fell apart when water touched it, it could never have withstood much of a test of time in a humid climate.

Well, I probably was too aggressive with some hot water. I did not think it could have been made of two pieces and I tried to remove some dust from it.

TraceyB likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a replica or made in the style of. A really nice piece imo, and I have seen prices go up for items like this.
    These pieces are not made to fool people, so they are not fakes. They are nice souvenirs or decorator's items.

Please don't ever use water on a possible pre-Columbian terracotta.
    I agree.

KSW, antidiem, JayBee and 3 others like this.
  8. Mafa75

Mafa75 New Member

@Any Jewelry thank you for your comment.
    Do you know what an approximate value for this item would be?
    And what about the age and the provenance?

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It would have been made in Mexico, maybe Guatemala, probably in the late 20th century. I have no idea of the value, but you can look on ebay for something similar in size and quality.
    Provenance is either where it was found (archaeological site) or former ownership, which is not relevant in this case. If you mean the style, he looks kind of Maya.

BoudiccaJones, KSW and antidiem like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I believe it is a somewhat modern day Guatemalan souvenir, likely post-1980s or even from the last twenty years.

Any Jewelry, Gus Tuason and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted