Does anyone have any information about these sculptures?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by GX40, Sep 19, 2021.

1. GX40

GX40 New Member

ALL copy.jpg WhatsApp Image 2021-08-16 at 20.59.20.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-08-16 at 20.59.57.jpeg Hi,

It is my first time here so apologies in advance if I have broken the rules by asking!

I bought these sculptures from Cameroon. They are around 140cm tall by 30cm wide by 30 cm wide except for the tall one which is around 175 cm tall by 30cm wide by 30 cm wide.

They are apparently over 200 years old and I have certificates of authentication. Coming from Cameroon I don't know what to believe unfortunately! I am looking for guidance on the tribe, as in which tribe do they originate from? Has anyone seem these or anything like these before?

In addition, they are made of wood. They are really dark brown/almost black in colour, however when the sun shines on them they turn gold, as in the attached photo.

Does anyone have any clue at all about them?

DELETED BY MODERATOR
    Many thanks in advance and honestly, any piece of information would be amazing so please do say!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes, you broke the selling/buying rules........but folks have done worse....so we'll let the Mods deal with that & still lend you our help on the art works..

@2manybooks
    @Taupou

did u buy them on line or in Africa ?
    Are your COA's from a known Gallery ?
    upload_2021-9-19_14-44-51.jpeg

they look nice but in my experience 200 year old african art....is rarely this large...or in such fine condition...

3. GX40

GX40 New Member

IMG_0373.jpg Thank you!

I bought them in Africa direct from a village. The COA is from them.

When you say they are not normally in such fine condition, they aren't. The first one if you go clockwise, has a massive hole in the top of it's head. Like attached.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
  4. GX40

GX40 New Member

Out of interest, why are you not allowed to say they are for sale?

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. GX40

GX40 New Member

Ah ok, thank you.

7. GX40

GX40 New Member

I also wanted to say, re identifying these.

When they came they also had a couple of envelopes full of granules. It looks like concrete powder. The envelope is just like the same used if I wanted to sell a letter to you.

They have gone through 'fumigation' at the airport in Douala, so is it a result of that?

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

What is the name of the village? You say from a village? And not in village. That’s interesting so did the village elders sell you these and then give you a COA? So are they like village artifacts? Sorry but I don’t understand this. Also why then don’t you know more about them? I would really like to see the COA..

9. GX40

GX40 New Member

Thank you Boland! I don't understand either! I got mixed up in this and ended up buying them basically.

Yes the village sold me them. COA attached for 5 of them. I have another one for the other two who are the wives of the warriors.

Attached Files:

10. GX40

GX40 New Member

I don't know if they are village artefacts. Apparently they came from the palace at the village - but I am not even sure what the name of the village is?

11. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. GX40

GX40 New Member

Thank you! I have just joined the FB group. You have all been extremely warm and helpful so far, so thank you so much for that.

kyratango and mmarco102 like this.
  13. komokwa

may i ask when you bought them........?

14. GX40

GX40 New Member

Hi, yes, just recently, July time, 2021.

15. i need help

16. GX40

GX40 New Member

Hi, please can you possibly say how you do that?

17. komokwa

that's consistent with the log that was used to carve the figure....

I see one broken foot...but all the rest of the feet and bases simply do not...imo....show 200 years of age...

plus.....I am unaware of any african village Chief or elder that is allowed to sell off their cultural treasures...........

but let's see how this plays out....:):):wideyed::wideyed:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. i need help

Maybe @kyratango can try to translate the COA?

kyratango likes this.
  19. i need help

Just like photo uploads.

20. komokwa

well this is weird......
    the doc , dates to 1963....involves Unesco.....but gives no dating to the carvings...???

Draft saved Draft deleted