Featured Does anyone have information on the Franklin Mint Princess Diana Precious in Pearls porcelain doll?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by slr, Oct 16, 2022.

1. slr

slr New Member

I recently went through the porcelain dolls my grandfather gifted me as a child and found that one of them is the Franklin Mint Princess Diana Precious in Pearls doll.

Curious if anyone can help me find out how rare this doll is or its value. It was purchased in 2004, has never been removed from the box, has all its original packaging and its accessories are still wrapped in its protective plastic.

I have googled and have found a few sites mentioning the doll but none mention how many were made or if it has any value. I've found some similar Princess Diana dolls from Franklin Mint on eBay and they range from $80 to $395 but I have not been able to find this exact one. Any insights would be helpful!

3D81F267-4173-4DA0-85B8-8A8E30D9C149_1_105_c.jpeg D40D7BDA-00EB-49D9-8908-18405E5641BE_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    judy, cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Send it to Harry ! he needs it apparently ! Just Kidding. Look up complted sales on ebay and that should give you an idea of worth BUT there are literally zillions of dolls like this out there and they arent as popular as they once were. I tried to donate some of my moms to thrift stores and they politely refused saying "we've got too many now" .Some of hers cost darn good money too (me telling her the whole tome Ma,dont !"

judy, BoudiccaJones, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Franklin Mint makes "collectibles." And as we all know, or certainly should know by now, things offered as "collectibles" are not.

A "baby doll" as Princess Di is absurd. She was not born a princess. She did not become a princess until she got married to Charles. :rolleyes:

4. slr

slr New Member

Good idea re eBay completed sales! Thank you!

judy, komokwa and antidiem like this.
  5. slr

slr New Member

Lol well, I did not create the baby doll idea but I hear ya

judy, cxgirl and antidiem like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this has any value at all, frankly. Probably pretty minimal.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The best thing I can think of to do with "collectables" from the Franklin Mint - is to donate them to a charity or a church and use them as a tax donation.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  8. antidiem

..to write off'a your taxes next year.

judy likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Or line them up on a back fence and... target practice? Some Franklin pieces do have resale, but most are worth the gas it takes to take them to the donation site.

judy, BoudiccaJones and antidiem like this.
  10. antidiem

I am considering calling in a church.... Our real estate is still rising! :joyful:

11. evelyb30

Sometimes dolls have decorator/collector value in other countries. Not worth it to ship them, but I bet a church that helps refugees would find them a home. Fancy dishes too.

judy and antidiem like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    pearlsnblume, kentworld, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. antidiem

Dang Peggy, cannot argue with brains! You're so sharp! Thanks! :joyful::kiss:

pearlsnblume, judy and bercrystal like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

hopefully you didn't donate it before seeing @bercrystal's post

wise words Peggy:)

pearlsnblume, judy and bercrystal like this.
  15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

:happy::happy: Thanks!! :kiss::kiss:

The majority of the stuff is not worth the time & effort to buy for resale. However, I have run into enough things over the years that I rarely dismiss it without at least a quick check of the sold listings. :smuggrin::smuggrin:

This one would have gotten my attention first off because it is Princess Diana & most folks know she still has a strong following even 25 years after her death. The other reason is because of the Franklin Mint connection. Their items are usually well made & are not cheap, to begin with. Lastly, it appears as if it was never even removed from the packaging which is always a plus to buyers. :happy::happy:

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and that's all true......but this doll is butt ugly.....and a poor tribute to the Peoples Princess........ imo.

17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can hear Diana asking, Does this doll make me look fat?

18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I agree...........but thousands sent their dollars to FM because she is definitely going to rise in value as the years go by...........:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Some might just like her as she is...................?

pearlsnblume, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, that last sentence is very true. Your doll would be valued at the high end of the range because it's never been removed from the box, much less displayed or even played with. While most collectible dolls make me yack, I see many antique dolls on the Roadshow with no hair, ratty clothes and totally beat up that bring hundreds or even thousands of dollars. So some day, maybe the same could be said for this doll.

If you decide to keep her, I would maybe remove and set aside the foam on her arm and neck. I've seen that stuff after about 40 years just turn to dust. It may harm the doll or ruin her clothes. Don't know for sure, but I do hate the foamy leavings I've found in goblet boxes.

Draft saved Draft deleted