Featured Does Anyone Know About Baxter Prints?

Discussion in 'Art' started by dgbjwc, Sep 21, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies! I picked up these two prints at auction awhile ago and finally got around to investigating them. I found the New Baxter Society page but I left more confused then when I started. The two prints I have are the Wedding Day and The Tyrolean Waltz. The visible portion of the Tyrolean Waltz image is 3 3/4" long and the Wedding Day is 4 3/4" long. The Tyrolean Waltz is shown on the Society page but I can't find any reference to the Wedding Day. They have a wood backing and a retailer's label. The back of the Tyrolean Waltz has been re-papered but the paper was cut so that the retailer's label shows. The prints are faded but not as washed out as the photos show. I have no idea if I have originals, book pages that have been framed, or what. Does anyone have experience who might be able to guide me? Thanks for whatever help you can provide. Don

IMG_20180921_171833813.jpg IMG_20180921_171913335.jpg IMG_20180921_171839963.jpg IMG_20180921_171849857.jpg IMG_20180921_171858252.jpg IMG_20180921_171919712.jpg

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I saw this in Google, so apparently the shop may have been in existence as recently as 1981. Unfortunately, the guide book isn't viewable, just this little snippet.

Guide européen de l'amateur d'art de l'antiquaire et du bibliophile
    https://books.google.com/books?id=YlA3AAAAIAAJ - Translate this page
    1981 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
    RICHARD BATSFORD ANTIQUES 792 Christchurch Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth, Dorset T. 0202-303150 18th and 19th Century Furniture Oriental Porcelain BOURNE END ... KING and HAYMAN Ltd, 202, Old Christchurch Rood. ® 21919 ..

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Are you able to photograph or scan an extreme closeup of the images?

judy likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Pat. I wasn't able to find any reference to King and Hayman at all. I suspect these were brought back as souvenirs but they were an auction purchase so I don't know the history. The pictures below are the best I can do without losing too much detail.
    IMG_20180921_181814085.jpg IMG_20180921_181826967.jpg

Pat P likes this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

judy likes this.
  6. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Thought "aha" I've just acquired a book on Baxter prints and I'll just whip through it and identify them. Not a snowflake in Hades chance!! I looked through thousands and didn't get a single match on either. Good luck with the search.
    Cheers
    Stephen

judy, Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

One trick I use if I can't find anything in regular Google search is to look in the Google/Books area. Lots of time it brings up mentions of items, people, or places in various printed material.

Unfortunately, the photos aren't close enough to tell the printing method. Are you able to look through a loupe to see if there are dots, and what type if there are?

Offset prints show regularly-shaped dots and most often are mid-20th century or later, though the process was also used in the beginning of the 20th century. Irregularly-shaped and sized dots would mean you have chromolithographs from the late 19th century.

If there are no dots, they could be 19th century or better quality 20th century prints.

Whether or not the colored sections look hand-painted can also be a clue to age.

pearlsnblume, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, Pat. I looked with my jeweler's loop and found irregularly shaped and sized dots. It's the first time I've seen dot patterns like this so it's kinda cool. I also saw dots used to outline white areas of the paper which I don't recall ever seeing before.

Thank you for your efforts, Stephen. It is much appreciated. And thank you, Jivvy. I did a quick pass and didn't see my prints but will take a closer look later.
    Don

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Jivvy

Well... on my screen, "the wedding" is the third one down.

judy, Christmasjoy and dgbjwc like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. Jivvy

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Don, then you do appear to have chromolithographs. For the most part, chromolithography stopped being used before 1920. And I've only seen it used after the 1890s for postcards, though it's possible some chromolithograph prints were produced between 1900 and 1920.

I love the look of chromolithographs and wish offset prints hadn't replaced them.

Draft saved Draft deleted