Does anyone know age and maker of this Mexican silver bracelet?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Being quite far from Mexico I don't know too much about the silver Jewellery from this area, as it doesn't cross my path too often. I do however have this silver abalone bracelet and I wondered if there was any way to tell the age on it and who the makers mark initials may represent in the stamp? TIA

IMG_3075.JPG IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3059.JPG

Happy! and judy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think that was 1960s/1970s-ish. Sweet but wasn't expensive in its time. What is stamped in the center?

Debora

Eils14, komokwa and stracci like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sterling, Made in Mexico, 925, and it looks like either 16M or 16H.....not quite clear enough!! Pretty coloring!!!!

Eils14 likes this.
  4. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi, Thanks for the responses. Good to know the age. I wasn't too sure but have zoomed in and done a crop to see it clearer, however you could be right @Aquitaine and it is 16M....not sure what that would represent however, or whom! Any thoughts?
    IMG use.JPG

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

6. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Hollyblue for the link, I took a look but can't see my mark there....I guess this one may just be a mystery! :confused:

7. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

If there is no "eagle" stamp mark, and no modern stamp - i.e. TT-75 (letters followed by numbers is the new catalog method used for makers) then it is circa 1940's or older (pre eagle). You can do a quick google image search for mexican sterling eagle marks to see what to look for. The makers initials are ILM, though the full name of the maker is not known by me :)

Eils14 likes this.
  8. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you @George Chaney that's great information to know, and as it only has the marks shown in the photo, and I can't see any eagle etc., then it seems it may have some age to it! :smuggrin: ILM makes a lot of sense for a maker's mark too, thanks.

George Chaney likes this.
  9. mekanah18

mekanah18 Active Member

I believe everything starting in 1979 to present is signed with a letter number system. Letters indicating the first letter of the silversmiths last name or the first letter of the city in Mexico it was made or both in some cases. Numbers indicating the number generation of the silversmith with the last name (16th silversmith with last name starting with M) These are difficult and almost impossible to know for sure exactly who made it.

Eils14 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted