Does anyone know anything about the this artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by manny, Sep 2, 2020.

1. manny

manny Active Member

Italian seen Santa Lucia port Naples IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1598 (1).JPG IMG_1598 (1).JPG IMG_1603.JPG

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I doubt this to be "tourist art" because the artist was meticulous with line structure. This was not slapped out fast in tourist style. I cannot read what is written in script beneath. Is it a pastel? Or paint?

Not to sound insulting, I love the frame more than the contents, but that is probably because I don't recognize the wood. How large is this?

Can anyone please help to identify what wood is this? Possibly something native to Italy?

3. Modest Muse

Modest Muse Active Member

Looks like a maple burl veneer to me...

antidiem likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

aaroncab likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A copy or a print. This is the weaker of the two images. (Notice how the figures' lack of shadow give them an other worldly appearance.)

Debora

IMG_1598 (1).jpg

Houseful likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks like a typical Neapolitan gouache.

antidiem likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Mutual Art example is just that.

Debora

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I thought that first too, but realized it's likely a different country maple than the wood I see in the southern united states.So then I thought "foreign wood - what is it?" thanks for your opinion.

It is a copy, not a print.

It could be

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Had lots of 'em, they always paint the same scenes - often day and night Vesuvius erupting scenes

10. manny

manny Active Member

11. manny

manny Active Member

The Mutual Art example is a bit different also not signed and I don't want to tear it apart to look for one there are hundreds 19th-century gauche painting similar scenes of napoli by different artist the majority not signed

12. manny

manny Active Member

Well, Debra tells us who painted the original if this a copy? a copy of who? is it a copy for the sake of it?

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The linked work is attributed to 'Neapolitan School.'
    '19th Century.' Yours appears to be identical but lacking some detail which might indicate it's a copy. Of course, it could also be a second version by someone who specialized in these scenes. The frame is quite nice which leads one to believe the work was valued by an owner at one time. But you really won't know what you have until you open it up.

Debora

14. Modest Muse

Modest Muse Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted