Does anyone know anything about this asian vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Maarten, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Maarten

Maarten New Member

Hello
    My grandparents have this asian vaze that their grandparents bought during the first world war. But they don't know anything about it, can somebody help us? received_1047238405633865.jpeg received_167832131228402.jpeg received_190092835444335.jpeg received_164662864795878.jpeg received_535341607079502.jpeg

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Japanese
    Late 1800s
    This is often called Nippon.
    Nippon is what Japan called itself and the name used prior to the McKinley.

i need help likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh and welcome to the board.
    Be sure to check back tomorrow as people come and go at all hours of the day.

i need help likes this.
  4. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Could be from the 1904 Missouri Worlds Fair...China and Japan first Exhibited there. I have seen similar from there and then. One is in the Museum in Missouri.

i need help likes this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Its Satsuma ware... but not true Satsuma ware. @blooey has provided info on this particular variety of Satsuma before.

blooey, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think there's a good possibility that it was not too old when your relatives bought it back around 1915, give or take a few years. Japanese of course and Kyoto earthenware. Lower quality than true Satsuma ware and built for more of a mass market at the tail end of the fashion for things in this style.

Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted