Does anyone know how old this oil painting by G. Hart is and how much its worth?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Cambria, May 26, 2018.

1. Cambria

Cambria New Member

Hi everyone,

There's this cool oil painting that is by G. Hart and was wondering how old it could be and possibly how much it could be worth?

I attached a picture of the painting and also a close up of the artist's signature. I tried doing some research and came across two other paintings by G. Hart but the signature is a little different, so I'm not sure if it's the same artist.

Here are the other paintings that are by G. Hart that I found online but I'm not sure if its by the same person:

https://www.hibid.com/lot/62355-57248-111750/g--hart--stagecoach--oil-painting/

https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/313/1347/lot/47351

Attached Files:

2. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

The signature looks more than a little different. That "a" is a whole other beast. People don't usually change up their "a"s much of all the letters.

3. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Can you please take a picture of the back? ( check Full size image)
    Include dimensions. I don’t think either of the two examples matches yours or each other.

Christmasjoy and Cambria like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This screams factory painting.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Cambria

Cambria New Member

I attached a picture of the back. It's 44" x 32.5".

I figured the two examples were a different artist based on the signature; those were the only ones I could find by G. Hart.

Attached Files:

6. Cambria

Cambria New Member

How do you determine if its a "factory painting"? I haven't seen this painting in person which is why I ask.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

For one thing, the wood on the back looks fairly new....also, the Picture frame is showing staples holding it together.....I can't see if there are staples on the canvas attaching it to the canvas frame....it's not a close up image.....

8. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Is something written on back of stretcher, bottom right?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The canvas is not old, it's modern canvas.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Experience more than anything..... The color palette, the technique, the schmaltzy romanticism, the frame type, the stretcher, the canvas, and the number on the back.

11. Cambria

Cambria New Member

Thanks for the info. I'll pass on getting it then.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It helps

Huntingtreasure likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted