Does anyone know the approximate age of this necklace and bracelet?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by vintagerobin, Oct 22, 2017.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

I bought a jewelry lot at auction the other night. This picture has some of the interesting pieces in the lot.
    At the top is a painted porcelain and brass pin, a sterling and marcasite circle pin, and a sterling boat wheel with an enameled center.

In the center is a damascene Japanese necklace.

The bottom 2 pieces I'm not sure about. It's a gold finished soft metal. I easily straightened some of the loops on the bracelet sections. And the stones are glass. There are no markings. Can anyone tell me how old he pieces are? And what would you call the style?

Thanks!

DSC_8343 (1024x668).jpg

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Congratulations. You have managed to find one of the most hard to look at surfaces to photograph things on ever seen. Before the jewelry people get here I would like to suggest photographing each piece separately on a piece of white paper with close ups of the front and back of the main segment of each for analysis. As it is it will be very difficult for them to give an accurate opinion.
    Cheers
    Stephen

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hi -
    The necklace and bracelet are most likely Czech and probably date to the 1930s.
    Wait for other opinions on this.

Can we see the backs of these please.
    As mentioned if put on a white background your items will show better.

upload_2017-10-21_23-5-30.png

The little sail boats look interesting, can't see the silver pin very well

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would love to help you, but I am already dizzy from trying to figure out where the jewellery is. I know the others have already said it, but a white background please. A simple piece of paper will do. And preferably individual pictures.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  5. vintagerobin

I'm sorry for the background. It was late and I was tired. Here are some with white backgrounds.

DSC_8344 (1024x686).jpg DSC_8345 (1024x685).jpg DSC_8346 (1024x783).jpg DSC_8347 (1024x681).jpg DSC_8349 (1024x633).jpg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

much better....thank you !!!
    The set is lovely !!!

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I agree with Cluttered for Czech and date. It's often referred to as Czech filigree.

8. vintagerobin

9. Any Jewelry

My eyes thank you very much.:)
    Just one question, what happened to the Japanese damascene necklace? If you show it, a request for photos of the front and the back please?

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just one!! VERY LOVELY!!!!!:):):):):)

zDSC_8344 (1024x686)a.jpg

11. clutteredcloset49

1. Early 1900s. Part of the hobbiest painting. Not very high value.
    2. I really like, but don't have info for you. Looks like it is marked sterling.
    3. Not as old as the other two. Looks like it is marked in two places. 925? and sterling? If marked 925, possibly Mexican 1960s and later - That is only a GUESS

upload_2017-10-22_9-56-4.png

12. vintagerobin

I'm in the middle of doing photographs. When I get to the jewelry I'll add that necklace.

KSW, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. vintagerobin

It's only marked once. That's imperfections in the metal casting and dirt.

KSW likes this.
  14. vintagerobin

DSC_8511.JPG DSC_8512.JPG The chain is a replacement. The closure is marked for gold filled.

kyratango, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thanks, I love it.
    I have two Japanese damascene necklaces with the same bottom pendant, they have been appraised as 1890-1900.
    This technique was originally used for decorations on Samurai swords. After 1868 the Samurai weren't allowed to carry swords, and the shakudo and damascene craftsmen started to make jewellery. From 1885 settings for the plaques were commissioned in Germany. In the 20th century the Japanese made their own settings, but it looks like this necklace has the old German ones.

kyratango, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  16. vintagerobin

I've sold several necklaces and bracelets before. They're very pretty pieces. I wish this one had the original clasp because it may not bring much without it.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

Well I just noticed that I mixed my numbers up when I was replying. Post 11, #2 refers to pictured pin 3. #3 refers to pictured pin 2,
    Sorry.

judy likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

The original clasp would have been great, but that's what happens to a lot of jewellery. These generally don't make as much as I think they should, and a later clasp influences the price even more.
    Still, a beautiful necklace, I love those older pieces.

KSW, Mill Cove Treasures and judy like this.
  19. vintagerobin

That's ok. I knew what you meant.

Thanks everyone!

KSW and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  20. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted