Does anyone know these pewter marks? William & Mary souvenir?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by evelyb30, Apr 14, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's marked WM and England, so it's not horribly old. I'm thinking some sort of souvenir ware or something made to look like it came from their reign. The handles on the porringer (quaiche - sp) are two crowns and they were co-monarchs. The whole thing is about 8 inches edge to edge of the crowns. I'm just trying to figure out if it was somebody's souvenir of a trip to the UK or if it came from the William & Mary book store. The WM mark looks like it has a Tudor rose.
    DSCF3654.JPG DSCF3655sm.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I know I have seen that row of 4 marks before.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. evelyb30

Certainly possible. OTOH the listing claims it might be silver... which I be leave to doubt. Anything marked England that was silver would be hallmarked.

6. say_it_slowly

7. evelyb30

That's a Tudor rose, so it makes sense since the other flower shown is a thistle. Queen Anne and Queen Mary were sisters from the Stuart line. Looks like my William and Mary guess was either right or close.

8. Pewtersmith1

Pewtersmith1 New Member

Hi
    I can answer this for you.This is a 5 1/4 quaich bowl made by my family company.
    The marks are indeed William and Mary as per illustration above.The 4 hall marks are left to right ,initials of the craftsman that made the item next is the Griffin a Bristol mark where the company started in 1779 ,the third three stars representing 3rd generation at that time ,later to become 3 shells denoting items being made near the coast .the last is an obscured would have been a W out surname .We still use that touch make which now reads first AE second Griffin third 3 shells 4 still W .
    This is the name of the Company AE Williams
    Made in Birmingham England .We produced thousands of these for the Scottish and world market over the years ,they came in 3 sizes.
    It was a traditional gruel bowl but used today as a traditional Scottish wedding gift both the Bride & Groom sip from it at the time of marriage.more info contact me dwilliams68@hotmail.co.uk.Videos on YouTube AE williams pewter making website pewtergiftware.com aewilliamspewter.com.
    I am one of the family members still making pewter in the traditional way and have been for 55 years hope this helps you.
    David Williams

9. say_it_slowly

Hi David and welcome! Thank you so much for the information!

10. evelyb30

The little bowl went up on Ebay last year and went to a happy new home. The info will definitely come in handy for next time! There can't be too many traditional pewterers left.