Does anyone know what kind of pitcher this Castelli pottery is?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, May 3, 2018.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think I've seen this shape before but I don't know what it's for. It has a very large round spout. Anyone know what it's intended use is? It measures 5" in diameter and 4" high not counting the handle. It kind of looks like a pumpkin with a spout and handle stuck on. TY!

DSCF1303.jpg DSCF1304.jpg DSCF1309.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know if there's a proper name (will be interested to find out). I'd just call it a melon-form pitcher. That seems to be the intent.

Very colorful.

judy likes this.
  3. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

The Castelli company has been producing pottery since the 19th century. The Cottura Company was a U.S. based import company that opened in 1970 and closed in 2003. The pattern is a modified version of “Mazzetto di Fiori” (Posy) The design was first created in Faenza during the 18th century. Neither pottery from Castelli nor pottery imported by Cottura are considered very collectible and do not usually do not well on internet auctions.

Figtree3, KentWhirled, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  4. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

As for a name for the shape, might be a honey jug.

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! Walter, you provided me with so much info, thanks. I wasn't sure about selling this on line. I might place it in my space at the mall. They (also have a sauce boat w ladle in same pattern) came with a HUGE lot of pottery I just purchased and I was mainly going for the MacKenzie Childs. I am just fascinated by this shape and was wondering what it might be used for. Thinking Italian, long time company, maybe it's for wine or olive oil or possibly honey. It's so interesting that I'm sure it will sell to someone and I don't need to get rich on it. Just curious about it. Thanks so much!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Am just curious -- is this one of the pitchers which delivers the wine in gulps? As in, "glug, glug, glug?"

7. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

This form rarely appears on Italian dinner tables. It was mostly used for fruit infused wine such as in Spanish Sangria. The wide spout allows fruit slices to be added to the wine

yourturntoloveit and dgbjwc like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Of course! Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted