Featured Does anyone know what society/fraternity/sorority this is?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marko, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The little GF charm and bracelet were a whole $2, sapphires are cornflower blue and testing as sapphires. Does anyone know what the symbols mean and what club/society/fraternity/sorority they may represent? Why does the guy remind me of the god Vulcan? Thank you! Sorority Charm Sapphires.jpg

komokwa, kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

He does look like a blacksmith - But I can't imagine a blacksmith working shirtless. I tried searching with the t as a Tau and the d as Delta, but that didn't help. All the ones with Delta use the official Greek symbol instead of a letter D.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Sandra and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes, I tried the Greek letters, too. I also googled blacksmith societies, no luck.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... Well, can't see the entire thing but assume it's a charm for a charm bracelet so meant for use by a woman. Doesn't look Greek (and if it were would use the Delta symbol instead of a letter D.) But that does appear to be the Greek god Vulcan. A club or organization, I'd think, with the three sapphires indicating years of membership or service.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Here's a long-shot. Cal U in California, Pennsylvania. Team mascot is Blaze the Vulcan. The have a dance team club. I wonder if this was their mascot image back in the day.

Attached Files:

7. Bakersgma

I wonder if what we've been seeing as a T over the D is actually a Greek letter Phi?

blooey likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

9. Bakersgma

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

When my husband was due for a small reward such as this from a company, he got to select if he wanted it in pin form or as a charm. I would not assume that because this is a charm, it wasn't for a man's work. :cat: It LOOKS like a 30-year charm.

kyratango likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the alphabet of Argos has such a D. the three stones could stand for faith, love, hope.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think it's Greek. If it were, the fraternity name would be accompanied by a fraternity symbol, rather than a college mascot. Looks much more like a corporate service pin.

Debora

antidiem likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

When searching using Tau as a term, I did come across a Tau Development that has something to do with firearms. Maybe the concentric circles are a target bullseye?

komokwa likes this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

WOW! I have many leads now, thanks guys!

15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys, I have many leads now to research. I pick these kinds of charms up when I see them. I have a few I can't ID, and someday I will put them on a GF charm bracelet because many have diamonds and genuine gemstones, even though they are gold-filled.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted