Does Anyone Know What this Glass Bottle / Mini Carafe was Called?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, May 30, 2019.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I got this totally adorable cordial set (in perfect condition) from the bottom of a box lot. Researched and found that it's Lotus Glass American Beauty Crystal with the Georgian Gold Border etch.

What I am wondering is - does the little carafe havie a special name? The glasses are 1 oz. in volume so I'm guessing the carafe is about 4 oz. (haven't measured). The little carafe is only 5 1/2" high, the cordials are 3 3/4" high.

Would it be for something like absinthe or a private night cap? Or am I romanticizing it? It's just so petite and cute! Here are the photos. The last photo is in my hand so you can get an idea of how small it is. Thanks.

DSCF4131.jpg DSCF4133.jpg DSCF4136.jpg DSCF4144.jpg

patd8643 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :)

i need help likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Joy! Don't you sometimes get a carafe like this one in swanky bars when you order water on the side?

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I don't know about bars ola .. I don't drink, I do think it is very pretty and I LOVE it's smallness, I have always loved small and miniature items (well most of the time :) :) ... Joy.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My thought of 'liqueur carafe' produces some related results in Google.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect it's a "liqueur decanter" or "cordial decanter" missing its stopper.

Debora

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hi Debora! Yes, it likely is a liqueur carafe but there was never a stopper. Carafes are always open. This bottle has gold trim on the inside of the neck and it is in pristine condition, no evidence of a stopper. The bottle was never meant to store the contents, rather to drink it. I was just hoping it had one of those shee shee names. Which gives me an idea. It would be perfect for someone's she shed, sitting on a little table or small chest. Hmmnn, getting some ideas of how to sell it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

At this point, manufacturer unknown, Lotus was a decorating shop. They did the etching and the wonderful gold deposit. Both the Carafe and the wines/liqueurs are too generic to ID.

George Nesmith and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted