Featured Does anyone know what this necklace is made of please? x x

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Jan 2, 2019.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hello everyone xx

Hope you all had a good Xmas and New Year x

Does anyone know what this is made of,please?

I am pretty sure it's organic and not glass BUT I have been known to be wrong at times :eek:

Here,you will see my pathetic attempt to take a pic through a loupe as I have seen some of you do. Also displayed is a selection of Spaniel Hair. :eek: :eek: :O

It's very long,about 52".

Thank you everyone xx

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry it's a bit overkill on the pics,not sure you need so many but was on a roll :eek:
    Thanks everyone as ever <3

antidiem, Sandra, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm impressed by both.:playful:
    Very pretty necklace, Bou.
    It looks like ca 1960s-70s Chinese faux lacquer, resin to make it look like lacquer. But the costume joolies will know more about it.

antidiem, Sandra, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. BoudiccaJones

Thank you lovely <3

Going to look at faux Chinese lacquer resinx x x

(When I was googling before, red jasper looked most like the stone but I'd never even heard of that before so am clueless as ever x x )

ETA both spelling mistooks ( :D) and to add...is that like cinnabar? I have some fake cinnabar here , if that's what you meant? xx

4. Any Jewelry

I have a necklace somewhere with similar beads and Chinese red cloisonné enamel beads. Of course I can't find it now.:rolleyes: But you could try that to narrow down the search, and then see if the resin beads are the same.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They're really interesting beads, but afraid they look like glass to me, perhaps meant to look something like jasper. As to time & place of making...?

6. BoudiccaJones

I wonder if they are glass then?
    They look a bit like the below but redder...would the inclusiony-type things also be applied? They do look as if they are on the surface and a bit powdery?
    Have louped em but am none the wiser ( quelle surprise!!)

I am of the opinion that they could be imitating red jasper. They are very cold to the cheek,and they clink like glass xx

**NOT MY PIC**
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  7. Any Jewelry

The plot thickens....:pompous: in that case I think it is glass.:)

antidiem, Sandra, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  8. BoudiccaJones

I think they could be actually, I was convinced they weren't!

What a surprise ! (I don't think!)

Thank you everyone x x x

9. Any Jewelry

Wait till America is fully awake and the costume joolies chime in. They are bound to know more.:)

antidiem, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

'Jasper' is a really nebulous term, a catchall for microcrystaline quartz that is opaque & is either solid color or with inclusions that did not form in an orderly way, the way the layers in banded agate do.

This is indisputably red jasper:

[​IMG]

Once it starts to be less pure, with inclusions of other colors, what it gets called is sort of up for grabs. Sometimes jaspers take their name from the location where they are found.

The maker of your beads may have been inspired by the look of red jasper with inclusions of other colors, but I can see in the magnified spot that the inclusions look like they spread out after being dropped in as a liquid, not the way rock grows.

11. Bronwen

Let's see if I can get what I see into words.

The beads are not uniformly shaped, which you would expect if they had all been made in a mold; the irregularity takes your thoughts away from glass, toward stone.

However, despite all the variability & somewhat crude look, they all appear to be very rounded at the edges where one flat side meets another. Hand faceted stones would be much sharper, would have an angle where yours have a curve. Can't imagine hand cut beads that do not otherwise show the highest level of workmanship having been finished so well on this one aspect.

This is really hard to convey, but there is also something 'off' about the colors; primarily the red is a blue red, not the yellow red of cornelian & red jasper. This is a less convincing argument for glass than all those rounded edges, but adds to my impression that that's what they are.

12. BoudiccaJones

(Just noticed the ends of some have a shape,and others don't , dunno what that is about )

Thanks you Cuz,all you say makes sense.
    I can see what you mean about the rounded/sharp edges too.

Thank you again everyone x x

antidiem, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Pretty and appealing beads, Bou!
    I have nothing to add to my friends above comments... another vote for glass as they "cling";)
    And... HAPPY NEW YEAR, GANG!:joyful:

mmarco102, judy, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Happy New Year to you too, lovely kyra and the rest of the 'gang'.:kiss:

judy, antidiem, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  15. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Well phooey . . . all that hype . . . but I see not one hair of a spaniel. :( :rolleyes: ;)

judy, antidiem, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  16. BoudiccaJones

Don't think I uploaded that one, it does exist though :D

judy, antidiem, SBSVC and 3 others like this.
  17. BoudiccaJones

Thank you my lovely and happy new year to all x x x

judy, Aquitaine, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

I can't resist: Bou who?

judy, tie.dye.cat, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  19. BoudiccaJones

hehe...[​IMG]

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think they are made of rock. Perhaps the mineral - Red Jasper with impurities. They are variable in shape; the roundness and gloss could be due to polishing once they were cut. What convinces me, though, is there is a small fracture line on a bead in the second to last picture pointing to a crystalline formation. Bronwen's piece is of the true mineral red jasper.
    Here is a chart on identifying jasper. [​IMG]

judy, antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted