Does anyone know what type of piece this is?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by trjohns280, Oct 16, 2018.

1. trjohns280

trjohns280 New Member

I bought this piece of furniture at a yard sale recently and I just thought it was really neat.
    I was wondering if anyone knew what exactly it is, or what it’s used for and possibly how old it is?
    It is about desk or vanity height, and it has these tiny cabinet type pieces that you open up to get to a drawer.
    Thanks in advance:)

Attached Files:

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I wonder if those fold out things were meant to hold material that hangs down like a curtain? It has the look of a small vanity to me, but WDIK :woot:

I guess I know more than I thought! Sniped by SIS!

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I used to own one of those, with a tiered, fluffy, white organdy skirt (a beast that had to be ironed, but SO pretty!). Supposedly, one thumb-tacked the thing around the top. The problem was, I don't know what that dodgasted wood was (ironwood?), but it was so hard that once my finger bled all over the newly-washed, newly-ironed billows!

5. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I think they were commonly referred to as kidney shape dressing table/vanity due to the curve in the front.

6. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome trjohns.

trjohns280 and i need help like this.
  7. trjohns280

trjohns280 New Member

Thanks everyone for letting me know.
    It’s a really unique piece and I’ve never seen one like it before. After seeing the skirt around it, it makes sense that it was a vanity. Of course I didn’t buy it with a skirt, but that’s ok. I’m not issuing it as my vanity because I also have this beautiful gem... (pic below)

Attached Files:

i need help and judy like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

:) (Just hide the cords! Dump them in an attractive wastebasket off the side of the gem. :)

And Welcome!

trjohns280 and Sandra like this.
  9. trjohns280

trjohns280 New Member

10. trjohns280

trjohns280 New Member

Yes, I know the cords stand out in the photo, but it is my hairdryer and I usually have it in the basket in the middle of the vanity, but I hadn’t put it up yet before snapping the photo for you guys...

Draft saved Draft deleted