Featured does anyone recognize the signature or the chariot scene on this antique plate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, May 3, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

It is framed and I do not have access to the back of the plate. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Vinny Costa, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  2. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The title is likely to be The Triumph of Love, or some such... The Triumph of something.

judy likes this.
  4. sunday silence

It seems to be called ''cupid and three graces'' originally by Angelica Kaufmann. Using cupid + chariot produces a number of examples in searches. MOS suggestion of ''love'' was key to using cupid in the search. Thanks everyone

moreotherstuff likes this.
  5. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Don't know how or if this helps:

Manufactured by ‘Etablissement Porcher Paris - Revin’, a company founded in 1886 and known for its art deco lavatories. And caters for secret smokers.

6. sunday silence

it might help if I knew what you are referring to Brian. Did they make this plate or something like it? confused.

7. sunday silence

Royal Vienna seems to have done quiet a few of these plates. SOmetime called "Triumph d'Amore." (MOS seems to have recalled it well). Does anyone have a list of painters for ROyal Vienna. I don't see that signature as "Reynolds" by any means.

8. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Yours may not be the same but the one on the Ebay link I posted definitely looks like "Reynolds" in my opinion. I had assumed part of your sig had rubbed off because the writing looks very similar.

Reynolds.jpg

9. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I read the name as Revin. If that is so, then Revin is manufactured by ‘Etablissement Porcher Paris - Revin’. I am not entirely sure that I have read the name [Revin] correctly. It's your call.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe Try Reimer, Riemer?
    There is an artist for Royal Vienna with that name.

11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

12. sunday silence

Lots of great help. Mos almost nailed it cold that was impressive

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

When you see a picture that looks like it could be the main float in a parade, there's a pretty good chance it will be the Triumph of Something.

Triumph of the Church:
    Triumph of theChurch.jpg

Triumph of Bacchus:
    Triumph of Bacchus.jpg

Triumph of the Winter Queen:
    Triumph of the Winter Queen.jpg

Triumph of Flora:
    Triumph of Flora.jpg

Triumph of Death:
    Triumph of Death.jpg

Here's a 19th C print, called Returning Home, that parodies the theme:
    Engraving Returning Home.jpg

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  14. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Just taking your post as example, no offense.

"Royal Vienna" never did, as these items are not - in any way - related with what the original Royal Viennese porcelain factory ever made. Even the imitation of the RV style has long passed its limits. Please forget this unbelievable "beehive = Royal Vienna" nonsense; first of all it's not even a 'beehive', even if it may appear as a stylized skep for the uneducated viewer. It's also often incorrectly depicted as standing on its head. Check the Austrian origin of the 'Bindenschild' ("banded shield") - which is part of their imperial crest - for the real deal. See it with the flat side down somewhere and you know there's something wrong.

Also, the last true Royal Vienna items were picked off of the free market well over a hundred years ago. Claims of "orginal RV" and such, nowadays, are plain bullshit. Pardon my French.

The "beehive" marking means zilch, even if it was at first used by decoration studios to indicate that a design was based on the Royal Vienna style; don't forget that it was later also copied and used by many Asian producers. Even the term "style" in this context can be seen as more than heavily diluted, thus meaningless, nowadays.

---

People seem to believe that a front face signature represents the true decoration artist and is somehow related with the producer. This is also incorrect.

These signatures point towards the artist which created the original oil painting after which the template for the transfer was made. It was the law to include the artist's signature in such cases as these painters had often died long ago; it was a from of posthumous honouring of their talent.

This also explains why so many different producers or decorators show patterns "created" by one and the same artist (see Kaufmann, Fragonard, Watteau)... the transfers were openly marketed and sold in large numbers, meaning that every Tom, Dick and Harry could buy and use them. Which happened frequently, so trying to hunt down a producer via the front signature is actually quite a waste of time.

---
    Sorry If I'm treading on a few toes here.

cxgirl, Elen Beattie and i need help like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You are considered the authority on the subject. Everyone’s toes will be fine! Thank you for taking the time.

16. sunday silence

I thought that was a very informative post from Chris, but I wonder if he has any opinion on who or what artist signature there is on the plate I posted in the original post?

Draft saved Draft deleted