Featured Does anyone recognize this 1960s stereo wall unit?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bookahtoo, May 31, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This is in my parent's house - I'm doing an inventory and focusing on furniture that I believe may be desirable. One of my sister's, BTW, can't believe anyone would want this. :rolleyes:
    Does anyone recognize the maker? I didn't see any marks or stamps, but I might not have been looking in the right place.

smallDSCN0140.JPG

smallDSCN0141.JPG

smallDSCN0142.JPG

smallDSCN0143.JPG

smallDSCN0144.JPG

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

And it came with speakers installed? ;)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing, Anti!

pearlsnblume and antidiem like this.
  4. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

danish cado

possibly of course
    peace

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

6. alex webb

7. antidiem

Is the turntable up on the left, behind the closed cabinet doors?

The darker wood and orange color of the fabric on the speaker cover doors would have matched my own parent's 1960s Lane furniture! WAG : Lane on color alone.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

No, but I like the little chest on the bottom right in the top image!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

i need help likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Your sister would be wrong ! MCM collectors would be all over this . Theres got to be a maker stamped somewhere on it,probably in the most difficult spot. What I like about it is that it manages to be substantial yet airy. Do the speakers still work ? What are those colorful things by the pictures on the left hand side ?

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I love it! Definitely a desirable item to the trendy/retro set.
    Sorry, I can't actually offer any new info.

12. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

@antidiem I thought the very same thing. The "HiFi" from the 50's in the living room (my P's) had the same mesh; the Lane was everywhere... so...
    Very late 50/s early 60s?
    Then there's this:
    upload_2019-5-31_12-13-18.png
    That magnetic clasp didn't really show up til the 70s but, were they the Bomb!

So maybe Speaker Retrofit? to a furniture maker's cabinet? The mesh looks newer (lighter) too, when comparing the speaker cover to the door mesh.

No idea about makers. Just a general impression.

13. Bookahtoo

Hi everybody - thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

I'm going to go investigate all of your leads right now, but first wanted to say that they bought this system brand new in 1961 - I remember when they got it. I'm not sure if it came with the stereo built in, but the stereo came with the unit.

Oh, and nothing was updated or changed from 1961 until now - just moved from MA to MN and back to MA, then 2 more moves in MA. It still works.

14. Bookahtoo

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  15. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

If you can't find any marks, see if you can find the same bent steel shelf hangers. If not, bear in mind that this could have custom made by a cabinet maker. Stereo equipment was quite expensive back then, so getting a custom cabinet didn't add that much to the price. I bought a stereo at an estate sale (in Arlington MA a couple decades ago) in a case with identical rattan doors that I finally concluded must have been custom made. It fit the built in stereo perfectly but wouldn't work for any other. The estate sale threw in a matching record cabinet (and were glad to get rid of it). This was long enough ago that they considered the MCM style cabinets to have no value; it was the tube stereo that I was paying for.

Does it still have the original stereo equipment? If so, show pics of that!

i need help and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. antidiem

Beautiful table, Book! Love MCM furniture! :)

agreed!

17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Looking at that is like time travel for me. Takes me right back to when I was a kid. We didn't have that one, but something along that style. We also had a Victrola that was in the living room in a cabinet.

Dawnno, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Bookahtoo

I'm pretty sure those are pottery chess men they got in China but I could be wrong.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. Bookahtoo

I'll have to take a photo of the receiver and turntable when I go there next Wednesday. I don't know if I can get at the speakers.

antidiem likes this.
  20. alex webb

some vintage bang & olufsen beovox speakers etc would be cool.

sometimes there is a little black and white label that says royal system design poul cadovius on the back of the shelves.

antidiem and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted