Does Anyone Recognize this figure

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by OldWhitby, Nov 21, 2020.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

This figure was acquired at auction a few years back in a small grouping that included 2 Maricopa pots from the 1960s and an Australian Wandjina carving so I'm inclined to believe this is also native of some variety - I'm inclined to think one of many meso-American cultures but have not been able to identify it as to origin or date. It is about 3.5" high and about 5" across the arms. It is hollow with the only openings being the pots in her hands. Image162.jpg Image030.jpg Image032.jpg Image033.jpg Image163.jpg Image035.jpg Image164.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like a dual candle holder. The green residue inside the "bowls" is probably candle wax.

judy and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's kinda nice...

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A very sweet angel, and I agree, it looks Meso-American, or even Colombian. The two rosettes or flowers on either side of the face could be an indication of local dress.
    Maybe @2manybooks has an idea.

OldWhitby and judy like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have not seen one of these before, and as a non-traditional form it is more difficult to identify. Can you tell if the white flecks we can see are part of the clay body, or are they an accidental or intentional surface application? My first thought was that it might be the micaceous clay used in Picuris and Taos pottery, but the style of the face, earrings (?), and hairstyle are not typical Pueblo, more Meso-American. If it was Pueblo of any sort, I would also expect a more explicit mark on the bottom. Perhaps @Taupou can recognize the clay body and the "C" stamp.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would say it's possibly from Chile, since the unglazed fired clay looks similar to some I've seen from there. The simple, rounded form is also associated with some Chilean pottery.

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

The white flecks appear to be the clay body. They are not on the surface.

8. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

How old would this be?

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

11. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

Draft saved Draft deleted