Does anyone recognize this mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Mar 31, 2021.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I purchased this set at auction and the raspberry decor reminded me of Blue Onion. I can not however find this porcelain mark any where? I tried AW and AN..... I have looked through hallmark books for German, Dutch-Swiss, etc.
    Thank you for looking! Handgemaltmark.jpg Handgemalt.jpg

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But the lot was passed.....NICE SET!!!! WAIT.....WELL, DUHHHH...ON ME!!!! LOOKS like you purchased the set!!!! No wonder they looked so similar!!!:banghead::banhappy::happy::hilarious::joyful::D:D:D:D:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::eggface::eggface: (Sorry, am half awake....late nite!)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    judy and laura9797 like this.
  3. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Search for pictures of "China Purpur" by August Warnecke. Looks similar to me and your mark looks like AW, but I've not (yet) found confirmation that the firm adopted this rather modern looking version.

("Handgemalt" just means "painted by hand".)

laura9797, Ce BCA and Aquitaine like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Wiki says the mark was modernized in the early 1990s but no photo.

judy and laura9797 like this.
  5. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Bakersgma and laura9797 like this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys! I knew Handgemalt meant 'hand painted' as I have seen it numerous times on European porcelains but now the mystery is solved!!!! It did remind me of a funny story .......I was cataloging for an auction house and the owner liked to think he knew everything....one day he told me I had underestimated a leather travel bag. He said it was made by a famous designer "DEPOSE"........I still laugh at that one!

Bakersgma and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted