Does anyone recognize this print or artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by alynnfin, Feb 21, 2022.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I had it reframed and there is no printing or writing on it. It was in a thin cheap wood frame but I loved the print so had it reframed. I can't put my finger on the artist, although I am aware there is no value, I'd just like to know. The frame is new by 5 years and it was just an unidentified print. Thank you in advance. Sorry about the angle of the photo but the glass was reflecting too much from my lights. B9ECA177-E277-4066-BA1F-04F9D2DA8EA8.jpeg

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She's Edwardian. If you haven't already, explore the American Beauties artists. Here are some names: Coles Phillips, Wladyslaw Benda, Nell Brinkley, and John Held, Jr.)

Debora

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

To me, a strong Sarah Bernhardt vibe.

4. alynnfin

I do see Bernhardt in it! Don't know if it is.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  5. alynnfin

Debora, I will look them up. Thank you. Never heard that term "American Beauties artists", but I am not very educated in the art and artists.

6. alynnfin

7. alynnfin

Sorry about the sentence with all the "but's", I was tired. I do not know how to put in a photo of this for recognition and was wondering if one of you know how. Thank you.

8. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I would look at Paul Cesar Helleu. I saw some etchings with similar technique in the sleeves and I think possibly your model.

Figtree3 and Roaring20s like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

His Portrait of Madame Helleu is in quite a similar pose.

Debora

restricted.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Figtree3 and Roaring20s like this.
  10. alynnfin

I think you have it. I will look more but it looks very very similar. Thank you.

11. alynnfin

That looks right. Thank you so much!!

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm not at all sure yours is a work by Helleu. (The treatment of shadow is executed quite differently, for instance.) There were many artists doing similar during this period. You will want to search Helleu's oeuvre and see if you can find an original before assigning it definitively to him.

Debora

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Helleu was quite prolific. I've been through his work here and, although I couldn't find this piece, it certainly is in his aesthetic. You'll want to take a look. Perhaps you can find the same model.

http://www.artnet.com/artists/paul-césar-helleu/39

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. alynnfin

Debora, Yes after looking through them prolific doesn't seem to include enough! The hat seems to be in a number of his with Madame Helleu. I did not see that particular one, although a number did not show an illustration. I do see what you mean about the shadow though. 9AD9E71F-55F0-44E4-B277-83323FBA65D3_4_5005_c.jpeg 1141E592-056F-4B69-AB9C-E22C2DCFE1A1_4_5005_c.jpeg
    These were her and the same hat is in them or very close. The shadow treatment is different, although I did not study any because by the time I scrolled thru them, I didn't want to go back. I remembered the name I always associated with mine, Icart. But have never seen it in his as well, but I do not have the exhaustive number when I pull up on Google. Thank you Debora.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Helleu does paint that or a similar hat in many of his works. But I can't find another example of him painting upholstery with any detail.

Debora

16. alynnfin

Upholstery?

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bedding? I thought she was leaning against fabric but... With another look, appears an exterior scene. Rocks with bay stretching out behind? I find nothing similar in his other work.

Debora

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Apparently Madame Helleu had red hair. It does appear that the subject in your print, @alynnfin , also has red hair... but perhaps faded? Although maybe the fading is a trick of the light or angle. If you include the words "reclining" and"woman" in a search for Helleu's works, there are so many similar images that it seems yours is either by him, or by somebody copying his work, imo. Maybe you could find an expert to consult?

19. alynnfin

Thank you all. I didn't realize there were more comments. I am typing up a tag for the back of the piece, so when my children go thru my things, they will have this info. I really appreciate all of your knowledge!

Figtree3, cxgirl and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  20. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted