does fenton milk glass have pressed mold lines?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kbnode, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Kbnode

Kbnode New Member

This question is too simple I guess for me to find the answer. I saw this hobnail ruffled vase and oh my gosh it looked so lovely. That shell pink seemed to glow...I suddenly and deeply understood why people love Fenton. So...though I never have bought glass I bought it.
    It looks similar to what some shops are identifying as Fenton. I read that Fenton used blown molds. This has a mold line as if two halves were pressed together. Is that normal for Fe IMG_3372.JPG IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3373.JPG nton milk glass or is this a reproduction? I'm not quite sure what a blown mold is vs other type of molds.
    Thanks much.

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

color is Fenton's 'Rose Pastel', similar to shell pink made by Jeanette & Fostoria, 1954-57

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

If a piece is mold blown the obverse of the pattern can be felt on the inside. I this case there would be dimples behind the hobnails. There may be some interior bumps with pressed imitation cut glass where the major miters are deep and wide. Fenton made pressed and blown glass but this piece looks blown to me.

Kbnode likes this.
  4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yes there are mold lines on Fenton glass, old and new, blown and pressed.

Kbnode likes this.
  5. Kbnode

Kbnode New Member

Thank you!

6. Joy33

Joy33 New Member

Can a Fenton piece have a perfectly flat base?

7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

There's no reason it can't, doesn't mean they did. Some could be ground and polished flat, some pressed flat. Could be. If you have a piece that you have a question about, post it here in a new topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted