Featured Does some one recognize the maker of this signed charcoal drawing?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Robert Walker, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-04 at 12.36.19.jpg WhatsApp Image 2020-02-04 at 12.36.19.jpg WhatsApp Image 2020-02-04 at 12.36.19 (1).jpg WhatsApp Image 2020-02-04 at 12.36.19.jpg WhatsApp Image 2020-02-04 at 12.36.19 (1).jpg I came across this signed drawing (pencil and charcoal) yesterday, while sorting out shelve of books. (In an envelope.) I have no idea how I got it, or how long I've had it. It is also not something that I would normally buy, I have a preference for a completely different style of art! However, I do find it fascinating, in its own way. The size is 30x45. All info. is welcome, I would love to know who made it. p.s. I live in the Netherlands. I have send it around to a couple of friends to see if they could help. (Thinking that it could be Dutch, in which case I thought one of them would know more info.) Same answer, every time: It has quality, but I don't know who made it...)

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

someone who likes Esher...

upload_2020-3-10_14-57-41.jpeg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a political cartoon.

Debora

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

LOVE it ! I searched a little for "FW" under surrealist ,etc , and nothing .

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Robert Walker

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Robert Walker

oeh! I never thought of that or looked at it that way!

7. Robert Walker

Thanks for trying! I know, I have spend some time searching, also. To no avail. Really hope someone recognizes the signature of 'style'. But could be a Dutch local, who is not likely to be known abroad. But to me it seems, that this a type of drawing of an artist who didn't just make one or two drawings...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Possible it’s F. VV?
    I looked at that with no luck, but maybe.
    Did you try an image search? Maybe the artist has similar works around.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Robert Walker

Thank you for trying and helping out! I have tried an image search, to no avail unfortunately.

i need help likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Robert.
    It looks Dutch. Maybe @gerspee recognizes the monogram.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I like it too!

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Robert Walker

Thank you all, for replying. First when I first saw this drawing, I thought "how on earth did I get this"? Didn't like it, at first glance. But now I'm learning to appreciate it.

For instance, in a way it's 'macabre', but grabs the attention is the triangular happy face. Also I see certain things, that make me wonder; what does it mean? (If anything at all.) Like the hand. In normal religious depictions the hand is raised to the sky/heaven and the hand is held in a certain manner to convey a message. In this case the hand, and the finger is pointing at the ground. But, is does a normal way for a hand to fall, i.e. just gravity?
    Schermafbeelding 2020-03-14 om 09.59.58.jpg
    It seems somewhat like the 'hand-sign', or 'orators gesture' for 'amazement or 'wonder'. (see pic.) What also puzzles me is the right corner at the bottom. Is this meant tot look like a parchment, is it a hole that goes into the ground below? Below, to where the hand is pointing at. Or, maybe not. (I would like to mention here that, even though I am partially Dutch, I wasn't 'fired up' while pondering- haha.) All, the best.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

14. Any Jewelry

It is a fairly normal, relaxed hand imo.
    It reminds me a bit of Adam's hand in Michelangelo's creation scene on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, except the other fingers are more bent.
    The one on the left:
    [​IMG]

Robert Walker likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Reminds me of when college students used to see how many they could cram into a phone booth.

Figtree3 and Robert Walker like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The more that I look at it, it's growing on me. I now like it a lot!

I have a question... what are the qualities that make it look Dutch?

17. Any Jewelry

Difficult to say. It is one of those feelings, just like you can usually tell if something is British rather than American and vice versa. It is recognition due to exposure, I guess.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Whoever/whatever it is - it has a striped tail. I get the impression of some nasty beast, carrying bodies/parts.

20. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

"The changing face of ?..........."

That isn't a tail, it's a shoe! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted