Does this artist have a following - Ryozo Ogura?

Discussion in 'Art' started by evelyb30, Nov 20, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found one of his ink paintings in a local senior center thrift. Figured for two bucks I was OK even if it was a print. It's not a print. The artist was born in Japan, but spent most of his life in the Chicago area. (1899-1973) He published a book on brush painting, a how-to, in 1968 but I can't find any auction records on him except for one watercolor. And I couldn't see the price on that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Warning ! I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee, and this May be confusing:D
    Is this the painting you saw, but couldn't get a result?
    http://www.arcadja.com/auctions/en/ogura_ryozo/artist/212917/

Well, it reads the name ryozo ogura, but it's not?? Or is that another way to read the name?
    Further below in the description it reads, Gako Ogura Ryuson, and the work is from 1880. So...??? If it's Ryozo Ogura, he wasn't born yet.
    Anyway, I found that work sold at Sotheby's
    http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...s-of-art-prints-paintings-l06861/lot.878.html

I also found a Ryozo Ogura titled Three Peonies, but with no picture or price.
    http://www.artprice.com/artist/212917/ryozo-ogura/lots/pasts/7/Drawing-Watercolor

I wonder if the signature in your painting could be something else? That "G" looks strange, but I don't know.

Sorry all this is just, we'll confusing, but just thought I would share my confusion with you!:joyful:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. evelyb30

That's the painting I saw. The signature matches the ones on the paintings in the book, so it's definitely that Ryozo Ogura and not the gentleman born in 1880. Mine was apparently better known as an instructor apparently. Oh well.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. N. Partney

N. Partney New Member

I have a painting with the same red mark and it is signed R. Ogura. It's a beautiful ink and watercolor of a siamese cat. It is from the Chicago area. I am interested in it's value. If you find out anything please post. Thank you!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Tom Camacho

Tom Camacho New Member

I have two paintings by this artist.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Can we quote price?
    I have a worthpoint result more current and comparable.
    News is good.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

Is it ok to quote price here?
    I have worthpoint result for this and one more recent.
    News is good

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any rule against. We see worthpoint quotes frequently.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. scoutshouse

I have seen his work before...

A cat and different design, but:

First one was sold for $219 in 2000.

(Maybe bc I was using a phone before - I didn't see my post yet again. I double checked, too. :()

Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 11.38.01 AM.png

11. evelyb30

Dang. I sold mine locally...for a lot less. Then again this wasn't a cat.

12. Judy Motts

Judy Motts New Member

76E08308-4CDD-410C-9485-2C27AD2B2B2A.jpeg 32B502F2-0F35-46C9-A5C4-D689A305500D.jpeg F826E5FA-6739-4F40-9EB9-B6F7CF8C8E65.jpeg I have one of these paintings as well. It’s a painting of Mount Fuji signed by R Ogura. On the back there is a label from the frame shop which is before ZIP Codes and the phone number is two letters and five numbers.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Judy Motts

Judy Motts New Member

AAD64C44-2D87-418E-A1D5-F9EA9C55982B.jpeg I’m happy to say I now have a book by the artist to go with my painting.

BoudiccaJones and scoutshouse like this.
  14. scoutshouse

Draft saved Draft deleted