Featured Does this lady have a name? Super cool figure Roman? lamp vases

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Nov 26, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Play Jim Croce here:
    Like the pine trees linin' the windin' road
    I've got a name, I've got a name
    Like the singin' bird and the croakin' toad
    I've got a name, I've got a name
    And I carry it with me like my daddy did
    But I'm living the dream that he kept hid
    41D4D39C-8F0A-4DAC-835E-3A8FA4E24BAF.jpeg C3AEEC84-98E9-4777-9543-C538AEE4A788.jpeg 6344A24D-648F-49BC-B6C9-711B515F2F07.jpeg Just found these a couple hours ago for $11! Either plaster or super dense chalkware. They weigh a combined 25lbs and are about 17” tall. Not sure what to call the pretty, if not kind of dejected looking, bare chested lady to find a comp. I assume they are lamp bases. Numbskulls at thrift stores that put stickers on delicate paint and finishes drive me up a farkin wall. Pulled off a big section of paint even being very careful. They have lots of chips but still look fantastic imo. I assume it’s Greek/Roman imagery but if I’m wrong please let me know. I may just use them as barbells if they don’t sell. I’m in love with them for some reason and really wish I had a place for them.

Also what type of flower/plant is is this?
    C8F7523F-21A1-4C77-A8D3-2794BC816196.jpeg

Edit: Can I not edit title? Meant to say figural not figure.

KSW, judy and Touchdry like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Always soak labels or tape with lighter fluid (benzine) then they will release without damaging finish, leather, paper, painted surfaces, whatever.

KSW, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Leaf is known as an acanthus, maybe that's the flower?

Aquitaine, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  4. J Dagger

Sweet! Thanks for the tip. Was just wondering what I could have done to loosen it.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

greek gal: Demeter
    roman gal: Ceres

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The imagery of Ceres, Abundantia & Fortuna is understandably intertwined, since an abundance of agricultural products is one type of good fortune. Ripened fruit & grain are also used to symbolize harvest season.

http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/778613A1-8886-4235-97E9-6AD9FF4F9182

This lady does not have the regal attributes & bearing of a goddess, so I see her as one of the other more allegorical figures. This is strictly a modern production, drawing on neoclassical style, but not adhering to classical conventions. Doubt designer had anyone in particular in mind. Although they are not load-bearing, they also suggest caryatids.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

J Dagger and i need help like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Not an acanthus leaf or flower:

1.png

J Dagger likes this.
  11. J Dagger

Caryatid is exactly the term I was wanting. Did not know what they were called. Thank you for that and the primer on the ladies.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think these are caryatids as they do not actually bear any weight. Caryatids are structural elements.

13. J Dagger

They are not literal Caryatids no, just a decoration. It seems to be modeled after one though. Similar looking structure, I think it was in Prague. It has three ladies surrounding a central column. It’s actually a fountain but people describe it a caryatid for whatever reason. I guess because it resembles one.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A great many terms are used incorrectly. The world keeps turning.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted