Featured Does this look "Real"

Discussion in 'Art' started by libbyloodle, Sep 16, 2015.

1. libbyloodle

libbyloodle Well-Known Member

My daughter just got this watercolor by George Sandstrom at a local auction. I don't know how to tell if it's the real thing :(
    Can anyone tell from these pictures, or tell me what to look for. Thanks, in advance.
    george sandstrom(1).jpg george sandstrom(2).jpg george sandstrom(3).jpg

gimbler-dave, Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks legit to me but really hard to tell from a photo with 100% certainty. The card on the back also says it is a watercolor and I would think the original price supports this idea. .

3. libbyloodle

Thank you, verybrad!
    I know that's not a guarantee, but it's closer to real than I was before :smuggrin:

KingofThings likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

And hes gorgeous to boot !

KingofThings and libbyloodle like this.
  5. libbyloodle

verybrad is gorgeous?

Just kidding :p Yes, I agree the fox is gorgeous! That's why my daughter bought it. She just liked it.

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If the galley card says W/C , it's a good bet that it is, just that.

Good thing the artist didn't paint an arctic fox....cuz all you'd see are the nose and eyes !! :hilarious:

If that.......:oops:

[​IMG]

7. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Cute little fella!

Maybe you could call the gallery? The woman I have dealt with there is always very nice and helpful ... perhaps she has a way to search inventory/sales from years past.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Ahh, Chaddsford! Chaddsford winery has the best Spiced Apple Wine - throw it in a crock pot with a cinnamon stick, let it simmer a while, and it is heaven!

Sorry, a bit off topic. Love the fox picture!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Better yet - go there yourself. You aren't that far away, and the land of the Wyeths is very beautiful. Plus, Longwood Gardens is there, The Book Barn relatively close, Winterthur, of course.... :)

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'm art-ignorant, but the signature bothers me a little in that it contains the copyright symbol. I'm not sure you'd see that on original artwork, would you? GS did sell "limited editions" runs of some of his works. Maybe show it to an art dealer to see if they can tell if an unique original or an edition. No it doesn't have "21/400" edition notation, but is that a sure sign this is the only one?

KingofThings likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Some artists have started including the copyright symbol with their signature. Guess it implies that you are buying the painting but not the reproduction rights.

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

13. theodore

theodore New Member

really beautiful

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Brad is correct about the copyright symbol. It prevents someone from using the original to make prints and resell them without the permission and/or giving the artist a percentage of the profits. It also prevents the image from going into the public domain. The symbol had to be displayed in a noticeable place. The law was recently updated in 2008 to protect artists because the old law stated that when a work was displayed in public, it became public domain which really isn't fair to the artist. Here is a link to the law:http://www.collegeart.org/guidelines/rights

By the way, I also think it looks like an original watercolor.

Figtree3 and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted