Featured "Dogs of War"photos from the Telegraph in the UK

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by yourturntoloveit, Mar 17, 2015.

1. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Look at the size and physique of the Mastiff in picture #6
    A "Presa de Canario", I believe, very rare nowadays, I met one several years ago, stronger than a 6 foot athletic male human.

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

This tidbit of information under Photo #1 was interesting to me: "The two stripes of gold braid on the soldier's left cuff indicate that he had been wounded in service."

Daveydempsey, I had noticed the dog in #6 but had not fully realized how very muscular and large he was until you mentioned it.

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

A preponderance of the Jack Russell-type terriers, and several of my favorite English setters. :)

6. KingofThings

I picked that stripe info out as well and love that I learned it but not that he earned it. :(

gregsglass and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Silver,
    Small dogs were easier to transport and harder to shoot. I remember reading about a German officer from the upper crust who wanted to bring his pet lion to the front. Some people have no idea of the "real" world.:eek:
    greg

8. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Speaking of dogs of war this is a pic of my maternal Grandmother and a shepard all decked out. This was WWll. My Grams,far left, was a WADC...Womens Ambulance Defenses Corp.
    phpiOVahEPM.jpg

9. KingofThings

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing that photo and their service!

Draft saved Draft deleted