Featured Dorothy thorpe? Mid Century glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Nov 25, 2020.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Miscstuff, patd8643, Branka and 2 others like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Very cool!

pearlsnblume and rink28 like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I know there is unsigned Dorothy Thorpe glass out there, but without her signature on at least one piece I'd hesitate to call it that. Original labels not withstanding. I have some original unused Heisey labels, someone could have unused DT labels.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

True Cherryhill, I have seen some sellers put fireking stickers on reproductions.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember on eBay when I was selling there was a guy who was selling thousands of stickers for many different glass companies. They were are real just left overs when the companies went out of business. My favorite was a paper weight I found for a former Mayor of a town over from me. I noticed his last name was spelled differently on the weight. Checked into it and it was the CORRECT spelling
    of the mayors name. The "official" name on the towns listing was WRONG. It took over 30 phone calls and a long letter to the press to get it corrected.
    greg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I dunno, the bowl that tallcakes posted sure has a lot of extra authentication. More than just a sticker. I would bet it's Dorothy Thorpe.

When Mad Men was still on TV, people were paying high prices for Dorothy Thorpe items. There were so many items on ebay that claimed to be DT that weren't DT. All that chromium looking stuff that never tarnishes. DT items tarnish.

That's why I've been trying to get rid of my very cool DT cake stand. I turn my back on it and it tarnishes! Too much upkeep. And now no one wants it. Can I interest you in a cake stand, @TallCakes ? You don't seem to have enought yet.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. pearlsnblume

That is interesting Ola that the real DT tarnishes. I did not know that.
    I saw about 6 roly poly silver rimmed glasses at the white elephant sale, but they wanted too much for them. When Mad Men was on, I would have bought them in a NY minute but now the prices have dropped and folks are not so hot to buy them.

I sold some of that stuff before when it was all the rage and it was fun.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

pearls, have you noticed that glass barware (in general) is coming back? I've done well with it on line when I can find it. The furniture retailers are even offering an array of bar carts that are really popular. I've seen this trend for a few years now. So I look for really nice decanters, wine glasses, DOFs and highballs, plus a lot morel.

My BIL is into mixology (his newest interest) so last year for Christmas, I got him a set of 2 Knickerbocker cocktail glasses, not the old original ones, but repros from the History Company. My sister and BIL put Everything in the dishwasher so I had to get new glassware. They are really cool and my sister sent me a photo of a Manhattan he made her in Mr. Knickerbocker. Here they are https://www.historycompany.com/coll...ocker-bartop-hat-cocktail-glass-gift-box-of-2

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. pearlsnblume

True Ola. I find the culver glasses sell well especially the Valencia. And swizzle sticks are making a big come back again... the glass ones.
    I will check out that link later on. Thanks for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted