Douglas W Reynolds

Discussion in 'Art' started by samuelcaulfield1, Sep 18, 2019.

1. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you use the full name "Douglas Wolcott Reynolds," examples of that artist's work will come up for comparison with an internet search. To my eye, the signature is the same.

Debora

SAAM-1974.28.69_1.jpg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's another (more assured) signature for comparison.

Debora

listed-smithsonian-artist-douglas_1_604285f72760213a7494a227c1e8bff3.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Turner Art Gallery was in business from 1929 until 2001. Your work appears (to my eye) to be late 1940s/early 1950s.

Debora

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Weird composition. The Douglas Wolcott Reynolds you note above was an accomplished artist ...even though signatures may have similarities, I doubt this work is a painting by him, it isn't very good IMHO.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like same artist to me (although his reach did exceed his grasp, especially in his earlier years.)

Debora

samuelcaulfield1 and scoutshouse like this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't think we've found the right guy.

8. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure either.. interesting one..

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To me, if it helps any, the date on that second signature (alternate/comparison painting) looks like 1935.....if it figures that Yale U. was his first stint in college and he graduated in '41 with a 4 year degree, then he would/could probably have been around 20/21?.....so conceivable he could have done both paintings if the styles aren't hugely apart???

ZZZZZZZ DOUGLAS W REYNOLDS.jpg

10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

IMO, not unless he was having a really bad case of the yips. :p

blooey likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just a thought...:rolleyes:

12. Hi, I hope I'm not too late to the party! All of the above paintings were by my father, Douglas W. Reynolds, B.F.A. (five-year degree) Yale 1941, M.A. Columbia; the signatures are the same because the artist was the same person; these are very early works (before 1940) and not especially representative of the transitions and growth over the many years of his life; and alas the obituary from the Daily Press is his obituary. I would be happy to give anyone an earful. Contact me, Douglas W. Reynolds, Jr., here s.v.p.

The painting with the military figure was in fact dated 1935, and was executed after the Great Hurricane of 1935. My father, then a student at the University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, volunteered with other students to go down into the Keys to gather the remnants of of the WWI veterans who had been building the Key West railroad (Subject of Ernest Hemingway's essay, "Who Murdered the Vets?"). I assume he made a sketch during the experience and executed the oil painting shortly thereafter. I'm not sure exactly how the painting was acquired by the government--might have been WPA.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  13. Here is a work from the 1970s, after traveling to Europe on a sabbatical sponsored by Hampton University:
    DSC_1759_01lores.jpg

14. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Thank you for helping to solve the mystery. What a pleasant surprise!

samuelcaulfield1 and komokwa like this.
  15. Thank you, flipper! I guess it is gratifying to know that my father could create some lasting mystery! I am fortunate to have a small gallery of his paintings here in my home--the works for the most part have scattered far afield, although I trust my niece and nephew still have their share of his works intact!

komokwa likes this.
  16. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Very nice.
    Take Care

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for joining our conversation here and solving our mystery. Enjoyed seeing your father's work.

Debora

samuelcaulfield1 likes this.
  18. Thank you, Debora. I used to put all my photographs--and many of my father's paintings--on Panoramio--but you know perhaps what happened to Panoramio . . . . Now I tend to wait for invitations from those in power.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted