Featured Doulton Book Flask Backstamp & Hallmark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Mar 12, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You know those moments where there is a minute left on an eBay auction and you have to decide if to fling a bid in without research or not. Well I did and hopefully struck lucky.
    This was in a job lot of random items, I saw the silver lid and thought it was worth a punt.
    I’ve established that it’s Doulton but can anyone help unravel the backstamps please?
    Google tells me the round stamp was used 1882-1901 but the silver hallmark date letter that looks like an O/Q/D only looks similar to the D of 1878?
    Any other information welcome, I’ve found a few examples on the internet but not this exact one which is ‘What will he do with it’ by Lord Lytton - (An in joke of the time?)
    Thankyou for looking :)
    663E12F2-68D7-4425-9928-F58DAC16A647.jpeg 8687DCC9-2214-4DC0-B681-F27757FB303B.jpeg 70BC5317-8713-4F40-ADD0-F82D6FA5D1BC.jpeg 9B775D9E-9567-4434-9CEE-A9AF56094A72.jpeg 1354FFFB-34C1-4E91-9AE4-1687C1F53193.jpeg AE95D062-D07E-438B-8406-77CC40F2EE0A.jpeg CFE64E9D-7362-465D-8B39-885188D5C278.jpeg F64C2118-5451-4A7C-B24E-80EB6BC8E59B.jpeg D70CA20A-DB73-45D1-BD92-EB3F2A12FB87.jpeg 0C1088A8-67B5-4DD4-8D33-D148E7E9A4C2.jpeg

Lark, judy, moreotherstuff and 4 others like this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The date mark is 1888, which for some reason sometimes appears without the duty-mark (maybe weight exemption), maker is Saunders & Shepherd (one of my favorites, they did a lot of novelty pieces) - it's a nice flask, I'd have snagged it too.

Would flag Ownedbybear for the Doulton, but weirdly, hasn't worked for me for a few weeks...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Cheryl.
    Which letter do you think it is to get 1888?. I got very confused looking :confused:.
    Looked up S&S- Cornelius Saunders, what a great name!
    @Ownedbybear

judy likes this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The registered design number looks like five figures starting 73 or 75, this gives the earliest date as 1929. If so the cap is from something else which happened to fit this piece.

judy and KSW like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

6. DragonflyWink

I'd think the registered design number would have been issued in 1887...

~Cheryl

judy and KSW like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice find, K. Does the lid fit properly? The lip thingy between the lid and the flask looks like someone has been fiddling with it.
    No doubt you can fix that, but like Ce I was wondering if it could be a marriage. A very nice one though.

judy and KSW like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

britishdesignregistrynumbers.JPG

~Cheryl

KSW likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm here! Not getting alerts for some reason. I blame lockdown.

It's spot on right, and the lid is original. Can you try to clean up those impressed marks on the base a bit?

The number on the base is not an RD number, it will be a pattern number or batch, which is very specific to Doulton and has meaning. A 1929 Doulton mark is a very different animal - literally.

You've what might be an Art of Union mark and also a decorator's mark.

That book flask might be in the Doulton bible, I'll go look.

10. Ownedbybear

PS.

Doulton loved doing faux objects like this. I've a leather jacket jug with stitching. If you didn't know it was ceramic, you'd think worn leather from a distance. Some of the book flasks had titles, some didn't - if you google on Doulton Lambeth book flask you'll find some nice examples.

Please don't tell me you got this for ten quid or I shall go and whimper in a corner. I covet that.

judy, bercrystal, i need help and 2 others like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve just found another one online ‘Self Help’ by Smiles!
    It has the same makers mark on the lid so hopefully it is all original?
    78F3AA86-C94B-410F-B02C-3CEEB75FF06C.jpeg

judy, bercrystal, i need help and 2 others like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

Hehe, wondered if it was so special that Bear would be envious - she so loves her Doulton...

~Cheryl

judy, bercrystal, KSW and 2 others like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

It's absolutely right.

I do indeed love Doulton, specifically Lambeth. As I've said, I'm sure, London is built on and of it. Plumbing, sewers, track insulators, bridge tiles and buildings. It's our clay, which the Romans used and a huge part of our history as a city.

My big covet would be a case of salesman's samples of plumbing.

[​IMG]

Oh, and a Doulton Pushkin by Agnete Hoy.

http://agnetehoy.com/doulton.html

[​IMG]

judy, DizzyDaff and KSW like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh, how exciting I may have something that’s in a Bible!

Lol, you know me too well......£29.....so big bucks for me.....but all made worth while by the other gems in the job lot including this cross -eyed spaniel which I may offer as a give-away.
    No pushing, shoving or shady tactics will be tolerated whilst queuing for this work of art :hilarious::hilarious:
    53DE7A6D-AA3C-4497-9CFA-FC279AB55B5C.jpeg
    Also two 50s watches, some bank notes, a rosary and a 1920s cricket photo and a lighter thingy.
    A somewhat eclectic lot!.
    FF2D88CA-B353-4122-AEEE-068F0D7178A3.jpeg

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for one for you :kiss:

bercrystal and DragonflyWink like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Twenty nine quid!

ARG.

You stole that. ;)

judy, bercrystal and KSW like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Pure luck. Right place, right time.
    I’ve been after that dog dish for ages ;) :smuggrin:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Cant find any sold listings so no idea what it’s worth anyway.

judy likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's your big heart, considering giving away the one item you love most.:happy::hilarious:

judy likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

I'd see that flask at around the fifty to seventy mark. Join the Doulton Lambeth Stoneware group on Facebook, someone will grab it.

judy, DizzyDaff and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted