Featured Drabware Covered Dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Dec 30, 2021.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I am trying to find out what I can about this drabware covered dish. It measures 4 7/8" tall and 5 1/4" across the opening. I'm trying to establish a rough timeframe and whether this piece had a particular use. Google searches using lily of the valley and bellflower haven't gotten my very far. I thought maybe it was some type of butter dish but that didn't get me anywhere either. I'm assuming it's English. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20211230_134054810.jpg IMG_20211230_134104416.jpg IMG_20211230_134849158.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not sure about what it is but I think I'm seeing relief molded (moulded) white stoneware rather than drabware. Maybe it's the lighting.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

4. say_it_slowly

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, SIS. Sorry about the bottom photo. I'm still shaky on what constitutes drabware so it may very well be stoneware. The listings you found were very helpful and are much appreciated.

6. say_it_slowly

Nice photos:). Drabware is a term that actually can mean more than one type of item. There are some that are fine stoneware/jasperware like bodies in the drab sort of beige/gray. Then there is also a refined type also in the drab beige/gray. :rolleyes: Of course the color varies. There are several terms that are sort of vague, to me, this is one. At least this is how I view drabware:)

https://www.appletreeauction.com/au...edgwood-drabware-teapots-salt-glaz_16D46CE847
    upload_2021-12-30_20-31-42.png
    This is the second form, my Wedgwood drabware cup and saucer with aqua interior.
    upload_2021-12-30_20-33-44.png

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Born2it, dgbjwc, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Dudson is very likely.

dgbjwc and say_it_slowly like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

dgbjwc and Bakersgma like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

That's wonderful! It's very pretty in blue and white. I am so thankful to be a member of this site where folks are so willing to share information and guidance. After the New Year I'll put up a Wedgwood teapot in white very similar to the grey example above. It was part of the same lot.
    Don

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted