Featured Dragonfly Cobalt Blue Piece What is The Makers Mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mossy, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Mossy

Mossy Member

Okay folks, first post outside of intros.
    This is a very neat piece and I would love to know the mark.
    There is a number scratched faintly on the bottom 6517 I think is the number. The more I look at the mark it looks like a 76 inside the mark. I really would appreciate help identifying this mark.
    That is not wear on the top. It's made this way and I can't remember what this effect is called. If I flipped it around same design on the other two sides.
    Light weight, and that is a lid on top. I can take more pics later if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

covet, covet, covet...

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lovely.
    Wondering if it might be Austrian.

4. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

Good luck. I did about ten minutes of research here, no discovery alas. It is a beautiful piece however. The sigil of my better half's family is the dragonfly, so if I ever am at a loss of a gift for her, I can turn to a dragonfly.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Mossy

Mossy Member

I've looked at marks endlessly. I think the piece is very old. Maybe even 18th century.

6. Mossy

Mossy Member

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rule out the French based on the decoration. I think I've seen that mark before but never identified.
    Don

8. Mossy

Mossy Member

So the Met is wrong?
    The MARK can be found on p.329,
    Lois Lerner's Lerner's Encyclopedia of U.S. MARKS on Pottery, Porcelain, and Clay, Collector Books, 1988.
    It turns out that the WV is for West Virginia.

9. Mossy

Mossy Member

You can digitally borrow the above book. I have just to verify.

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I looked up that page in my copy - it's there, it matches. Good enough for me!

11. Mossy

Mossy Member

Yeah, now value is another issue. If somebody thinks I am letting that piece go for a hundred bux they are dreaming. It may take a while to move it, and at what price I am not sure, but definitely not that low of a price.
    No, am not trying to sell it here. Okay mods.

Draft saved Draft deleted