Dragonfly Watercolour Japanese Help

Discussion in 'Art' started by cxgirl, Jul 20, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

DSC07221.jpg Hi,
    Here is another watercolour that I need help with. I think Japanese but could be Chinese. This is 14 1/2" x 14 1/2", has been glued onto the mat. There is some discolouration on the side (2nd photo), maybe from the glue? This was in a frame that the corners screwed together, I've never seen one like this before. I had thought this was a wood block print but taken out of the frame I'm thinking watercolour.
    Any information appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC07228.jpg DSC07229.jpg View attachment 17903 DSC07230.jpg DSC07233.jpg

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It does look like a watercolor, or possibly a good quality reproduction print of one. Hard to tell online.

cxgirl likes this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Pat. I checked out the Graphics Atlas site you posted, very interesting site!
    I wonder if this would be a woodblock print?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's a woodblock print. It's either an original watercolor or a modern reproduction. I don't trust myself to recognize modern repros even face to face with the picture: things like giclees are so accurate in their detail that for things like watercolors and line drawings it can be very difficult to tell.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I also don't think it's a woodblock print.

In addition to modern printing processes like giclees, there are antique and vintage reproductive processes that also make it hard to tell since they don't have the telltale dots of photo offset prints.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

From here it looks real......imo

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Geez, I forgot about this! I dropped this with the other two off at the gallery, will have to stop by and see what they say.
    thanks for bumping this up komokwa and jogging my memory!

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My pleasure.....with all those paperweights it's a wonder you have time to think of anything else !! :hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted