Dresser question

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Branka, May 11, 2021.

1. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Salute. Last night friend delivered this treasure. She was ready to dispose it but thought I may save it. So with your blessings I’ll try. It has been in her family for a while, dragged from state to state, cherished, used, abused and ended in garage as storage unit. Drawers are broken, original wheels fail of, there is only one left that she give me. I would like to know what is dresser origin (I think American); approx age. And finally should I restore it or leave it as is. Thanks guys and have a wonderful day. P.s. I noticed square nails inside, bit unusual and the wheel is made of wood, never seen anything like that. Thanks. 1AB9F947-FFF9-4F2C-957E-8E0AC86B72A7.jpeg 77675F5B-60B0-4DF3-8844-C3B81B268D24.jpeg 4B0F8AA5-7560-4C04-A48F-CA3F30A2A878.jpeg 5D044DC2-EA14-47B5-9F9E-DDB2084D48CC.jpeg 8F01C17B-814A-4A43-87F1-9FCCD492043A.jpeg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

While you wait for someone who knows something, I have found this discussion of nails to be very interesting. Nails as clues to age (realorrepro.com) I bring this up because you mentioned square headed nails.

Branka and judy like this.
  3. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Thanks much. Wow. This is cool breakfast article. I’ll take a look.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Correction please, the nails used to built this dresser are rectangular.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would like to see drawer construction but off-the-cuff would say mid to late 19th century country pine piece.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Great article. Learning something new. New expression to add to my vocabulary “to work like a nailer”. Based on this article the dresses may be from 1880s. Let’s wait for our experts. Thanks again Kiko

7. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

3E31D887-EFD0-44C0-9222-830FC37591E7.jpeg C46DBD14-2B65-481F-B4AA-CCB456FE7584.jpeg B6597C6C-03CE-48DA-810E-54D8DD703FA8.jpeg EC682DF7-6A92-40C9-9071-D31A4E189C6F.jpeg

8. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Two drawers have key holes. One still has locking mechanism and other is gone.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. verybrad

Thanks for the pics. Agree with my early assessment. Think more likely in the earlier range than late. By 1880, the hand cut dovetails were being phased out even in most country shops.

Any Jewelry and Branka like this.
  10. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

I’ll fix the broken drawers. Is it ok to refinish the dresser? Sand it and put the clear coat? Or leave it as is, just fix the drawers?

11. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Any feedback on wooden wheels? I think that is equally cool as nails ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love it when old furniture has wheels. They are much easier to move around!
    A lot of used furniture and antique stores have a bunch of old wooden wheels lying around that they took off of old furniture.
    Take the wheel with you though to make sure the "new" ones will fit.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. verybrad

No harm in refinishing but would avoid sanding. Makes the piece look too new. Really just looks like it needs some cleaning and some finish touch up from my view.

14. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Thanks for recommendation. I’ll follow your advice. Appreciate it.

15. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Will do. Thanks very much

16. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Another correction, each drawer has key hole locker. I’m sure something precious was kept there back in days. I am finishing small child desk project restoration then I’ll start working on this dresser. Thanks very much for your help. And have a great day.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

This looks like Victorian Cottage furniture to me, C. 1860s that has lost its paint somewhere along the way. Cottage furniture was a smash hit right after the civil war, particularly on the east coast.
    Unfortunately, most of this furniture has been stripped as OP dresser has been, originally it would have looked something like this.

unnamedR.gif

An article that sums up this style & offers some history on this form
    http://theantiquesalmanac.com/victoriancottagecharm.htm

The good news is, even stripped, these dressers are worth some money, here is an 1880s one that sold on LiveAuctioneers for $150.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/28334099_victorian-cottage-pine-dresser-circa-1880

28334099_1_x.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Branka and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Who would have known that this looked so much different when it was created - I would just have ignored it as just a pine dresser. Thanks for sharing this history.

James Conrad likes this.
  19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, the "Knotty Pine" drawer fronts kinda give it away, this simply wasn't done in the 19th century.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Had to be covered up, eh? So fascinating.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted