dresser with key holes no clue age

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by cats, Apr 23, 2019.

1. cats

cats New Member

Hello, this was my grandmas dresser. No idea if she got it new or if her moms. No markings on back or bottom. Drawers has keys holes but no idea for decoration or actually locked. my mom was going to pitch 15 years ago but i took it for looks. Feet are round with holes. Any ideas be helpful. TY 005.jpg 006 (2).jpg 8.jpg 005.jpg 006 (2).jpg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3629591C-8063-4BF5-BAC3-B2C930354FF5.jpeg 913AF8A0-D11B-4FB3-9746-3B32D917CDAA.jpeg 5D458B0F-75D5-4F5D-A611-E85AB5D651D2.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, cats! :)
    Furniture folks will be along. I enlarged your photos.

3. cats

cats New Member

ty so much

i need help likes this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Cool! Looks like mid-19th century mahogany, very age darkened. 150 years old +-. Glad your mom didn't pitch it.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum! Can't wait for your next post!

verybrad and i need help like this.
  5. cats

cats New Member

wow ty,
    ty, not sure what to do with it. have to move to smaller place n not sure i will have room for. but had to know any history if any to it before i decided.

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Holes in the feet may be for missing casters (does a nail go in for an inch or more then probably a caster). Don't need to replace since these casters don't work that well anyway and more stable without them.

Can tell if locks are real by looking to see if there is a steel plate and mechanism inside where the keyholes are. Sometimes these are removed too, but again doesn't really affect value.

7. cats

cats New Member

went up and looked again inside and drawers for any stamps or marks. they do have metal plate with the slide lock. so it did lock but i dont have a key. 008.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yep …. circa 1850. Shame that this furniture is not in fashion these days. Still a lot of use in this.

Draft saved Draft deleted