dressing cabinet and mirror

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Brendan04, May 1, 2016.

1. Brendan04

Brendan04 New Member

IMG_20160430_171553879.jpg IMG_20160430_171721062.jpg IMG_20160430_173722101.jpg IMG_20160430_174553327.jpg hi peeps, I'm new to the forum :) my auntie is looking to sell these items but we would like to know if there worth much. My auntie said there over 100 years old. Would anyone know there worth?

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! On the "dresser cabinet," are there doors under that 1 or 2 drawers side by side? I can't see it well enough to tell anything about it. If those are doors it might have been meant as a sideboard rather than a dresser? We need close-ups pics: close-ups of any details on the mirror frame, close-ups of the drawer opened to see how it's made, close-up of the doors open and a pic of the back of it. With close-ups of any decoration on the mirror frame, drawer front, etc... someone may be able to date it like whether cottage/Eastlake, etc. The hardware, pulls, do look 1890s, but don't know if they original to the piece. If there are doors, do they have brass knobs? Has it been refinished or painted. It almost looks like it's been painted black to these old eyes.

I haven't any help on the dresser top shaving tilt mirror. I'm no good on IDing woods. Do wait for others to chime.

--- Susan

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

First piece does look like a sideboard that has had a dresser mirror added to it and painted black. While not a correct configuration, someone might still like it. Does appear to be circa 1890. Values on such are not high these days. I would expect this to sell for less than $200.00 here in my medium sized town Midwest shop. At auction or other wholesale venue about 1/3 of retail. You might do better in a big city or on either coast.

The gentleman's mirror appears to be circa 1860 and mahogany. I would need to see more/better pictures to be sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted