Drinking Scene Copy printing technique ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Suzy60us, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

I purchased this cut down European Drinking Scene Print at a Church Sale. It was in this old frame, I did not look closely at the print. The picture is reproduced on fabric.
    Can someone educate me on this process and the age of the print?

DSC01991 (1).JPG DSC01997.JPG DSC01994 (1).JPG DSC01999.JPG

2. mp.kunst

mp.kunst Member

You probably already know but the original painting is by Eduard Theodor Ritter von Grützner (1846 – 1925)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Thank you - Mp Kunst

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I really do not have a clue how they do it, I have a mini-rembrandt/nightwatch on canvas and a Bruegel the younger(I like his dad better but this one is fine too) in a big baroque old frame, but its colours are fading, maybe because it was not put behind glass. Both seem to be quite old, though the fake rembrandt looks in better shape.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

It is known as oleography.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

According to Wikipedia:

Chromolithography
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about the print-making method. For the Felipe Alfau novel, see Felipe Alfau.
    [​IMG]

Chromolithography is a unique method for making multi-colour prints. This type of colour printing stemmed from the process of lithography, and includes all types of lithography that are printed in colour.[1] When chromolithography is used to reproduce photographs, the term photochrome is frequently used. Lithographers sought to find a way to print on flat surfaces with the use of chemicals instead of raised relief or recessed intaglio techniques.[2]

Chromolithography became the most successful of several methods of colour printing developed by the 19th century; other methods were developed by printers such as Jacob Christoph Le Blon, George Baxter and Edmund Evans, and mostly relied on using several woodblocks with the colours. Hand-colouring also remained important; elements of the official British Ordnance Survey maps were coloured by hand by boys until 1875. The initial technique involved the use of multiple lithographic stones, one for each colour, and was still extremely expensive when done for the best quality results. Depending on the number of colours present, a chromolithograph could take even very skilled workers months to produce. However much cheaper prints could be produced by simplifying both the number of colours used, and the refinement of the detail in the image. Cheaper images, like advertisements, relied heavily on an initial black print (not always a lithograph), on which colours were then overprinted. To make an expensive reproduction print as what was once referred to as a “’chromo’”, a lithographer, with a finished painting in front of him, gradually created and corrected the many stones using proofs to look as much as possible like the painting in front of him, sometimes using dozens of layers.[3]

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  7. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

chromolithography becomes oleography when applied on canvas using oil.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The frame looks early 1900s.

Draft saved Draft deleted