Featured Drool alert - Art glass bowl & underplate w/ raised berry design - who dunnit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Nov 1, 2015.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

A friend bought this piece at an auction Friday night & I told him I would try to find out who made it if I could with a little help from my glassie buds. They were part of 150+ boxes that had been in storage since the early 1990's & belonged to a man who did shows for many years. Many of his pieces had tags on them, but this one had it removed. Considering what he had other items priced I would have loved to known what he was asking for these 2 pieces. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

This thing is absolutely stunning in person. It is satin glass on one side with a raised yellow & pink berry design. The other side is highly polished & very glossy. I saw no marks of any kind on either piece. Both pontils are inverted & smoothed. The bowl measures 5 3/8" across & is 2 3/8" to the side edge. The plate is 6 1/2" across.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

*crs*, cxgirl, tyeldom3 and 4 others like this.
  2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Yum -- it's a classic drooler !!!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's acid etched cameo glass.

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Have no clue, but love it!

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It looks lovely! Wish I could help with these types of things, but I know very little.

6. bercrystal

I think it's acid etched cameo glass.

You may be right, but how in blazes did they do the bumpy texture on the berries???? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Most of the pieces I saw on-line looked to have a smooth texture to the design.
    Peggy

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very pretty set.

This is a finger bowl with underplate.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My approach would be three layers of glass: a clear base, then a yellow casing followed by a followed by a second, thinner, casing in pink (more of a flash). The berries are molded into the clear glass. Then acid is used to etch away most of the cased color with a resist protecting the casing over leaves and berries. Then the pink casing is selectively etched from the decoration, generally smoothing things over, leaving the yellow exposed and the pattern as you see it. JMHO

9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Reminds me of Daum Nancy but not exactly and it would be signed.

A drooler indeed.

10. bercrystal

Well whoever made it should have signed it!!!! :p:p:p

When I am queen it shall be the law that no type of PG&P shall be released from its makers hands until there is some sort of legible mark applied. :rolleyes::rolleyes::smug::smug::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:
    Peggy

janettekay, Figtree3, Pat P and 4 others like this.
  11. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

GREAT IDEA. But don't forget to add date made. Embossed.

POSTING HERE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I HAD SENT THIS TO A FRIEND WHO CAN USUALLY RETURN AN ID IN A FEW HOURS. Just received a message that she's totally stumped. Nothing rings any bells and can't find anything similar in any of her 40 or so books. Let me know if anyone else has an answer.

Have you tried EAPG on Facebook?

12. bercrystal

I don't do Facebook, so that is not an option.

The guy who bought it has been into glass for at 25+ years & the auctioneer who sold it has been doing it for around 40 years. Neither has ever seen anything like this piece either. It has been packed up since the 1990s so it is not brand new, but it may have been new back then. :confused:

One this is for sure, whoever did it & whenever it was done it is a true beauty. :p :D

Peggy

*crs* likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Peggy,
    This is not brand new as in 1990.

Definitely a late 1800s piece.
    Possibly English or French.
    I would be looking at Schneider's La Verre, Stevens Williams, or Webb.

Draft saved Draft deleted