Dugan Venetian art glass question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Aug 24, 2015.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I found a hex-button Venetian vase. My question is about the glass finish towards the bottom of this vase. Does this look like water staining / calcium / etc that has settled into the rough areas of the texture? The article on DDoty says the textured finish was produced by rolling the hot glass in frit, not by using acid or other means to create the uneven surface. So, the discoloration on mine probably isn't from the glassmaking process. Correct?

I've only seen one other piece of this glass line, and it had a different surface treatment. I realize it's supposed to have an "ancient" look, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Does that make sense? :confused:

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Here's the vase:

IMG_7751.JPG

Here are some close-ups of the area I'm curious about:

IMG_7758.JPG IMG_7759.JPG IMG_7760.JPG IMG_7761.JPG IMG_7762.JPG IMG_7763.JPG

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Nice looking piece and photos! I'm no expert, but I think from the heating process the frit would turn an iridescent colour(s), so the difference might be from the making of the piece. Or maybe just dust over the years? @desperate_fun might know

UncleChuckTX and KingofThings like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

So the color is in the glass and not a treated surface.

It does appear that it sat in water and has lime spots. Usually these are permanent. I have had success lessening these water stains, but not getting rid of them entirely.

If you have some Bar Keepers Friend, or Nothin's Better For Glass, you might try making a past and rubbing a small area to see if you can work any off. I don't think either will hurt the finish of the glass as one is a cleaning compound, and the other a polishing compound; and the surface of the glass isn't stained or treated.

You might want to wait to see if anyone has a better suggestion.

4. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

If it is limescale, maybe CLR would help? I also read that soaking in vinegar can help remove it. Worth a shot.

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I've sold a few of these Venetian vases. Based on your photos, I don't see anything wrong with this vase. Yes, I do see what looks like more gold color toward the bottom, but it's difficult to say whether it's lime scale. Frankly, these vases are so bizarre anyway that you might have to look around for others like this one to see if what you have is unusual.

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

BTW, what happens when you scratch this area with your finger nail? If it's limescale, a little of it should flake off.

7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

You might try a soak in distilled water seems to attract lime etc. Frankly I suspect the variation is in the making not staining from any agent.

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  8. UncleChuckTX

Thanks, everyone! I did wash it off before I photographed - it was covered in grease from sitting on a shelf next to a kitchen for X number of years. So sticky, I had to almost peel my hand off it. I do have some Barkeeper's Friend, and I might give that a try, just in case.

Here are some more photos. Pam and George, I can see what you're saying about the production. And Pat, I'm not sure how these are made, but I suspect it was at least a 3-step process: form basic shape, roll in frit and reheat, apply doping / salt color to create iridescence. You can see the iridescent layer - the gold layer Pam was talking about - if you look from the inside. There are also a couple of stray nuggets of the gold on the base. Perhaps what looks like limescale is just excess iridescent material that didn't completely vaporize?

IMG_7755.JPG IMG_7756.JPG IMG_7764.JPG

Thanks again for the help. I just want to make sure I describe it thoroughly when I list it, whatever the consensus may be.

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

UncleChuck - I'm about to give you a huge time saving tip! Get some Dawn Direct Foam. It comes in a pump bottle and you put just a tiny amount on a sponge so it lasts a long time. Direct Foam takes off layers of dirt and grease. It's the most amazing detergent! Have you ever had a piece of porcelain with gold trim that looks dingy? Direct Foam will make the gold look almost new, it's so shiny!. It will clean up this vase really well, but I would hesitate about using Barkeeper's Friend (although that's also a truly amazing product!). Do you have a Magic Eraser? That could work too.

Figtree3 and cartoongirl like this.
  10. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

11. UncleChuckTX

Pam, I haven't tried the Dawn foamer, but I just found a coupon for it! I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

Thank you, sir! I actually hadn't found the 2nd link. The DDoty article tries to link to loetz.com, but there doesn't seem to be a Dugan section there any more.

Thanks again for your help, everyone! I appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted