Featured Dutch blanket - cool pattern!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by blooey, Nov 17, 2019.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Picked this blanket up this morning as I thought the design was pretty nice - kind of a Glasgow-cum-Vienna influence but as it turns out, Made in Holland by Didas Deken. :)

The lady who sold it to me mentioned she thought it was pre-WW11, but I don't really know if she was the original owner or not, so pretty much conjecture on her part.

Any ideas or further info?

dd_blanket.jpg

dd_label.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it is one of the Didas blankets. Deken means blanket. 100% zuiver wol means 100% pure wool.
    I think yours was made in the 60s, it has that stripy pastel tableware look. I can see how the stylised rose reminds you of the Mackintosh rose, but alas, no direct link.

It says made in Holland, but that is because most people have never heard of the Netherlands. It is actually made in Brabant, in the town of Helmond, about 15 minutes drive from where I live. This region was once one of the main textile regions of the Netherlands.

The name Didas is short for two surnames, Diddens and van Asten.
    Willem Diddens started out as a cotton printer in the early 1800s. His granddaughter married an enterprising young man named Willem van Asten, who added weaving to the firm. The first weavers were home weavers, much like the ones you see on van Gogh paintings:

[​IMG]

By 1885 the Diddens & van Asten company needed to expand, and they opened a factory along the Helmond Canal, where all the big textile factories were. The new location meant easy acces to water for textile manufacture, and to shipping for transport.

[​IMG]

The name changed to Didas some time in the 20th century. I don't know when exactly, there is little to be found on Didas.
    In the 70s Didas had to sack most of its workers due to cheap imports, and in 1978 Didas was forced to sell the factory to the Raymakers company. Not that it helped, the factory finally shut its doors in the early 80s.

I would love to say that your blanket is collectible, but here they are just sold as second hand blankets. I have one in my car.
    Here is a blanket like yours and like the one inh found. The site is the Dutch equivalent of the US Craig's list. It is sold, the asking price was 20 euros, but I don't know what it actually sold for:

[​IMG]
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/huis-e...f711f4f2da7bf44992eedf8334965&previousPage=lr

The one inh found is in a shop, so 22.95 euros is the retail price.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Figtree3, blooey and Bakersgma like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll be asking $125! Not common here.

Interestingly, have (had) two friends from Helmond, Wilhelm and Tus ..that was 50 years ago when I lived in Nijmegen!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I also had two friends from Helmond.:playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted