Featured Dutch Pen and Pencil Drawing

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ren_, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Ren_

Ren_ Member

Hello,
    Could someone please help me learn more about this drawing of a canal in Amsterdam? I cannot make out the artist's name or the canal name (maybe Prinsengracht?). I am also curious about when it would have been drawn. From the back it looks like it was removed from a book or it was glued to a page. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you! 2.jpg 1.jpg 3.png 4.png 5.png

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think you nailed the location.

Westerkerk and Prinsengracht canal temp01.jpg

3. Jivvy

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You and Jivvy are right. The Westerkerk seen from the Prinsengracht. The view that makes every Amsterdammer emotional.;)
    I can't read the signature, sorry.
    On the back it says de Vries, a Dutch surname but not the name of the artist. Then there is p/a which means c/o, and a street, which could be Warmoesstr. 21 or 121. One of them is a club and the other a bar, the Warmoesstraat is a notorious street in Amsterdam.
    The numbers mean nothing to me, except for the 9.50, which looks like the price.
    It could have been made by a street artist.

judy, komokwa, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  5. Ren_

Ren_ Member

Thanks, that is definitely the view!

judy, komokwa, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. Ren_

Ren_ Member

Thank you! Great info about the back. The signature is really hard to make out, not even sure what letter it starts with. Any idea of the age?

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

No cars, but hand carts. If it is not copied from an older drawing or photograph, it could mean pre-car era or possibly during WWII.

judy, Christmasjoy and Ren_ like this.
  8. Ren_

Ren_ Member

It was purchased in an antique shop around 60 years ago so WWII could be right. Thanks for your help! :)
    The clock face looks different but I can't find anything about it changing. Maybe just artistic interpretation.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. Jivvy

Could you try again on a photo(s) of the sig? The current one is too blurry for me.

Ren_ likes this.
  10. Ren_

Ren_ Member

IMG_2840(2).jpg IMG_2840(2).jpg
    Hi Jivvy, I've attached a couple more pics. Unfortunately it is signed in pencil so it's a bit smudged and I can't upload high res :(
    Does it look like Schumann for the first name? Thanks for your help.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Frankly I don't know. There are Dutch names which could look like Schumann, like Schuurman or Schuurmans, do you think that could be it?

I'll see if I can find something on the clock face, but as you said it could be an artistic interpretation.

Ren_ likes this.
  12. Jivvy

I see no possibility for "schumann", but signatures are completely weird and it could totally be "schumann" (though, "shumann" would be more believable to me).

My take is very different as I see the first letters as "Hur" and everything beyond that is very much scribbly (please don't read too much into MY scribbles, I just post them to show how differently one signature can be read by two people).

temp01.jpg

Ren_ likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

So do I. But I haven't a clue.

Ren_ likes this.
  14. Ren_

Ren_ Member

Very cool, and makes sense. :) thanks for taking the time to illustrate.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I searched for the history of the clockface, but couldn't find any evidence of a change. I did see enough photos of the tower (Westertoren) to last me a lifetime.:playful:
    Well, it is beautiful, and the people of Amsterdam are very proud of it:
    https://www.studiokoning.nl/Foto_15/Westertoren.html

Christmasjoy and Ren_ like this.
  16. Ren_

Ren_ Member

Thank you Any Jewelry, much appreciated. It is very beautiful. I'm happy to have a little drawing of it. :)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted