Featured Dutch scene mantle inlay

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SeventhStreet, Mar 6, 2017.

1. SeventhStreet

SeventhStreet Member

Hello! I'm hoping to have some help identifying some unusual pieces from an architectural salvage warehouse we purchased. These items are in a basement of an old warehouse, and not well maintained. This mantle stopped me in my tracks, (sorry the image is not brighter), but this is inlayed wood (not painted). Any ideas? Thank you!

IMG_2948.JPG

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Probably very early 1900s and from the arts and crafts movement. Dutch scenes like this in wood and other mediums were very popular in the period. You need to save this and spruce it up a bit. Very saleable.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Magnificent find!

KingofThings and SeventhStreet like this.
  4. SeventhStreet

SeventhStreet Member

Thank you for taking a peek! We're pretty fluent in more typical/ plain mantles from around this period... But what would be a retail price guess? It will eventually be up for sale, and there are several more similar to this....

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's wonderful, 7th! Where are you?

KingofThings and SeventhStreet like this.
  6. verybrad

Value will really depend on condition and how well they clean up. Are they all missing the mantle? Would also be nice to have some kind of provenance for them. Since you have several, they likely came from some kind of commercial establishment. Location and selling venue is also an issue.

If I were selling a single one with mantle intact and in nice cleaned up condition at retail here in the Midwest, I would have no compunction in asking $1500.00 for it. I could see it being double that or more in the right setting and location. Provenance and artist information could enhance values further. In as-is condition, a whole lot less since you would likely be selling to a dealer.

I could not find anything similar in wood but here is an example done in tile. The Dutch Chocolate shop done by Ernest Batchelder in LA is considered an architectural treasure. Take a 3-D tour here:

http://la.curbed.com/2016/8/10/12405422/los-angeles-batchelder-dutch-chocolate-shop-3d

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Brad..........THAT was FASCINATING!!!!!!!!

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  8. SeventhStreet

SeventhStreet Member

That was cool! Thank you for posting, and it does make sense to me to be Arts and Crafts. Here's a photo of what we are dealing with just regarding mantles stored in a warehouse basement:
    IMG_2624.JPG
    ~
    And another full one of the Arts and Crafts Dutch mantle. It needs some work, but it is so beautiful... IMG_2621.jpg

9. SeventhStreet

SeventhStreet Member

Bakersgma...we are in Georgia! I don't want to post too much as I'm unsure of forum rules, and we are still in the "repair and assess" stage of this business...but we will have a website and social media set up once we are ready to open for business. :)

antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Nice stuff. I used to go to the Atlanta Antique Emporium in East Atlanta when I visited my daughter but they went out of business. I just got back from a week down there, but we didn't have time for shopping. :(

KingofThings likes this.
  11. verybrad

My, what a daunting and fun task. Best of luck to you and do keep us informed. I wish you were closer to me as I would love to have a look. Never know if a road trip might be in order once you get open ;).

12. SeventhStreet

SeventhStreet Member

Thanks, all! GA is a great place to visit, and we are surrounded by gorgeous antebellum homes.

antidiem likes this.
  13. Larryismoore

Larryismoore New Member

This is interesting! I have a very similar mantle in my 1903 Greek Revival that I have cleaned and restored!!

I stumbled upon these photos on google wile looking for wood inlay mantles.

This is the closest thing I have ever seen to mine!

Because I can only post a picture that has a URL I can't post photos here.

Search instagram for #greekrerevival to see mine or look me up on instagram as Greekrerevival to see the restoration on my house.

cxgirl likes this.
  14. Larryismoore

Larryismoore New Member

15. Larryismoore

Larryismoore New Member

Can't upload any other photos because they are too large but I have close ups and photos of the whole mantle on instagram greekrerevival

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@Larryismoore here are a couple of photos from your instagram page. Yours looks beautiful! Very cool to have found the label on the back.
    @ 17332349_1857415491140216_1470121297731125248_n.jpg 17495116_1821249141470984_8978023176827043840_n.jpg

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  17. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Love those tiles...........original or did you select them?

18. Larryismoore

Larryismoore New Member

Installed in 1903z I'm very they were all still there and intact. I just had to put a few back in and a good cleaning they look beautiful.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  19. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

They look wonderful. But in retrospect, I'm glad that they are not in my home......I'd be driving the drapery and upholstery people mad trying to decide which shade of green to match with which furnishings.............:oops:

judy likes this.
  20. verybrad

Greek revival is an early 19th century architectural form. I don't see how that fits with the 1903 arts and crafts mantle being shown. I don't do Instagram or even know how to access it. Would love to see how the incongruity of Greek revival fits with arts and crafts period.....

This is a modest Greek revival cottage. How does that mantle fit with this?
    upload_2017-3-27_10-4-43.png

This is more what I would expect to see in a Greek revival home.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here is an arts and crafts bungalow that I might expect to see that fireplace in.

upload_2017-3-27_10-7-55.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted