Dutch slave trade?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by bammerjeep, Jul 6, 2015.

1. bammerjeep

bammerjeep New Member

My father-in-law just passed and we are going to his stuff and we found this. He was 80 years old and he said it was five generations removed he's from Holland originally. It's very heavy, maybe 15 lbs. no machine marks, reminds me of a door knocker. Thanks for the help! image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, bammerjeep!

It's awfully small to be a restraint device, weight notwithstanding. Plus it looks "decorative." If it were "worn" as in a bracelet, the wearer's hands would have to be pretty small to fit through the hole.

A real stumper, this.

Does the family history contain stories about being involved in the slave trade?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  4. bammerjeep

bammerjeep New Member

No not that I know of he moved here from the Hague at age 16 and weighs 6 pounds

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that he had anything personally to do with the trade by the Dutch (which was pretty much over by around 1800.) Just wondered whether any stories of the previous 5 generations (before him) might have suggested a connection way back when. Especially with the title for this thread.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

You may have something there, SIS, although with no hinge the foot would have to fit through the hole to get it on and off. Maybe for a child?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Old southeast Asian money

Around Thailand

KingofThings likes this.
  8. bammerjeep

bammerjeep New Member

Oh no offense lol, I'm grabbing at straws. Though they had nazis in the family I have some of that stuff too

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like an african money bracelet..

KingofThings likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yep ...... money or dowry bracelet. It doesn't look like the North African ones I am more familiar with so Southeast Asia could very well be right.

12. Gatoulis

Gatoulis New Member

wow!!! I have just fallen in love with this... currency!!! :)

it is probably a manila currency... a trade currency of north africa.. especially for Nigerian tribes or ivory coast! there are many types, sizes etc.. some are small.. some are huge and heavy...with higher value!

Europeans were making bracelets like that in europe too, to use them in africa... so..

these were used to buy women, slaves etc....

it's a beauty!!! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted