Duval & Hunter Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 15, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

3BA0446A-3B75-40C7-9F84-6DE66B39B6E7.jpeg 419E9837-5B86-4823-A0CD-A1284F48E014.jpeg There is printed text along the lower edge “Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1871, by Duval & Hunter, in the Office of the Librarian of Congress Washington, D.C.”

Does this mean it belonged to the Government? If so, legal to possess? Or maybe it’s a reprint?

Also, trying to find the original the print was made after?

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. kardinalisimo

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

No, the government did not own this. Any printed material - books, "art" prints, etc. were required to be registered, if you will, with the Library of Congress, by a copy being deposited with them. I have a book around here somewhere in which a little piece of paper with that same wording had been glued on one of the early pages.

4. Bakersgma

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

I can’t find any text about the painter. According to the partial label on the back, the title is “The Church Mouse” but don’t know if that’s an official name.

6. Bakersgma

Well, there is mouse in the picture and the little girls appear to be amused about it. So that title sounds pretty good to me!

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. kardinalisimo

Thanks. Still, it does not get clear who drew or painted the original. The Etsy piece says “published by T S. Arthur & Son”. I guess that means someone else did the lithograph, maybe the same Duval & Hunter. I don’t find info about Timothy Shay Arthur being publisher of commercial prints. Maybe this was an illustration for his magazine?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. i need help

10. kardinalisimo

Thanks a bunch. So it’s an original print not after a painting or drawing. Feels good when a mystery is solved.

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  11. i need help

So it would seem, but you can wait for others to weigh in, I just basically find things and let others interpret, as I’m not always sure.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. kardinalisimo

Well, I’m still a bit suspicious. In the article they don’t mention who’s the originator of the picture. Duval and Hunter did the chromo but was the original sketch made by them as well? Peter S. Duval and Thomas Hunter were lithographers not a painters as far as I understand.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. i need help

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Shay_Arthur

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  15. Figtree3

I don't know whether you noticed that T.S. Arthur was the publisher of Arthur's Home Magazine, which was the same magazine linked in the Google Books link? In other words, Duval and Hunter did the chromolitho of "The Church Mouse" so that Arthur's Home Magazine could give it away as a premium to "getters-up of clubs," whatever that means. This still doesn't get you to the artist who made the image. I don't know which came first, the oleograph or the chromolithograph. It's possible that Duval and Hunter employed in-house artists to make original images for prints. I've read some about this age of chromolithography, but my memory of what I read is fading.

16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE the picture .. Joy.

Aquitaine likes this.
  17. i need help

EAA6E146-EB2C-478D-A6A4-5EFEB934D071.png

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  18. kardinalisimo

4074DCAD-0D32-469F-B6EE-E523A4F5953B.jpeg CF8674D7-B2CE-4990-843B-E33CE7C09DC0.jpeg F7EB986D-EE81-4818-8B85-3797666F5848.jpeg C2038E33-88AD-4D28-8EB2-B6BE5E4B0457.jpeg E74C1829-D221-42F0-B1C5-89F76B12E704.jpeg I guess the most reasonable explanation is that in-house artists were used for creating the images.
    By the way, in none of the articles is mentioned Oleograph. They talk only about Chromos.
    Mine is laid over cardboard so I can tell for sure if it was done on paper or canvas. It does look like mad3 with oil paints to resemble painting.

19. Figtree3

i need help likes this.
  20. kardinalisimo

Oleograph is supposed to be on canvas. The question is if the Etsy one is oleograph or chromo on paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted