Featured E. Stenbbins Coin ? Silver Bowl

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 22, 2020.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Quite a find! I hope to hear all about it.

kyratango likes this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

4. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Edwin Stebbins
    • Born: 13 Dec 1804, Springfield MA
    • Died: 14 Feb 1845, New York City NY
    General notes:

Jeweler

Events in his life were:

[​IMG]

• He was a partner from 1827 to 1834 with George C. Howe in New York City NY as STEBBINS & HOWE.
      Articles of Copartnership May 1st, 1831, between EDWIN STEBBINS
      & Geo. C. Howe to carry on the Jewellers business at No. 146 Chatham St one
      door from Mulberry St partnership to continue as long as either may think
      proper, to have an equal Share in stock & fixtures.
      It is agreed that 4 notes dated May 1, 1831 for $200 each, 1st payable 2
      mos after date, 2d 4 mos after date, 3d 5 mos after date, 4th 6 mos — each
      payable to the order of Geo. C. Howe & made by the firm of Stebbins & Howe
      & to be paid out of the money rec'd by the firm — profits to be divided equally
      between the partners. The firm shall not endorse any paper & shall not loan
      out any money.

Geo. C. Howe.
      Witness. EDWIN STEBBINS.

Alex'r Rumrill Jr.
      May 1st, 1831

[​IMG]

• He worked from 1835 to 1845 as a jeweler in New York City NY as E. STEBBINS & Co. 4

[​IMG]

• Receipt, 22 Nov 1838
      Winterthur Library

5. kardinalisimo

Thanks. Died too young.

kyratango likes this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Must have been the hazardous metals he handled. If you wanna sell it under spot let me know;)

7. kardinalisimo

97E5168D-39FF-45AF-8B9C-532FF5AF381F.jpeg 033C728E-2E01-4029-A634-35C4DC5F325C.jpeg After a bath. 620 grams.
    Not sure yey how I'll proceed with the sale.

kyratango likes this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

You took off the patina!

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Terry,
    The finish was TARNISH not patina. I hope you were kidding. You can not remove patina without severe damage and really hard work.
    greg

kyratango likes this.
  10. kardinalisimo

009FAF80-E1C1-4730-9A18-686F3C299656.jpeg 0DEB74C1-1CA8-4491-B59A-89A1D6C25104.jpeg I was about to write something similar last night.
    First, the bowl was definitely cleaned at some point and it wasn't like it had "original patina"
    Then, I do like patina but not tarnish and is hard or at least I don't know how to clean one and leave the other. I did leave some on the beaded decoration.
    Another reason to clean is that the "black" was unevenly distributed and in my opinion was taking away from the beauty of the piece.

kyratango likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Feel sure that Terry was kidding, having often seen results of his polishing efforts. You did just fine, looks much better - patina on silver is the soft glow left from years of handling and polishing, combined with the tarnish left in the crevices (though it was/is often patinated or oxidized for the effect at manufacture). Personally, dislike tarnished silver and it can be destructive to the surface, but also can't stand over-polished pieces where someone has gotten the tarnish out of every nook and cranny, leaving the piece without any character or depth, and buffing wheels, unless in the hands of a skilled restorer (who will avoid use if possible) are an abomination...

~Cheryl

gregsglass, Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  12. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

At first glance, I'd've guessed old sheffield plate, rather than coin. I base that solely on the 'look' of the tarnish.

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

10-15 minutes with a buffing wheel and red rough ,no patina left and looks like it just came off the show room floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted